Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Filet Mignon ideas

Options
wingfoot
wingfoot Posts: 95
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Today is my daughter's 17th birthday and I'm going to cook filets for her. When doing rib-eyes or strips I always do the T-rex thing, but I'm wondering if that's the best way to do 2" filets. [p]What say you?[p]Mike

Comments

• Bobby-Q
    Bobby-Q Posts: 1,994
    Options
    wingfoot,
    Absolutely.

• eggor
    eggor Posts: 777
    Options
    wingfoot,[p]now someone is going to want to slap me upside the head for saying this, but before you do, hear me out.[p]Last night, wifey came home and said she got a tenderloin, for about 7 bucks a lb, in cryovac. I asked if it was cut. She said no, but she had cut it herself. OK. But, she then told me she sliced it into some nice thick steaks, almost but not quite a WHOLE INCH THICK!!!![p]Now, I won't repeat what I wanted to say to her, but she new I was not exactly tickled.[p]I got the dome to about 550-600, threw the steaks on. 2 minutes and flip. 2 more minutes and flip again. Closed the dampers and waited about 2 more minutes. Pulled the steaks. Check the temp with my brand new, never been used, Thermapen(thanks to MShark) right @ 130. [p]Probably the best i've done on steaks in over a month.[p]Lesson to the story, It really doesn't matter how thick the steaks are(at least tenderloin)to be eggseeeelleeeent.

• wingfoot
    Options
    eggor,[p]Since my wife likes her steaks medium well, I'll have to butterfly one for her. Sounds like T-Rex is the way to go. [p]Thanks for the feedback.[p]Mike