Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Frozen chicken wings

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I buy my wings in 10lb packages at Sams and thaw as needed. I noticed on the bag that they give cooking times for frozen and thawed. Anyone ever try cooking wings from right out of the freezer? If it works it would cut out actually having to plan ahead, which I am not very good at.

Comments

• bean town griller
    Options
    Whitetail,[p]I cook straight from freezer.
    Usually try to marinade in large ziplocks in fridge for a day and then throw in freezer. I don't adjust cook times too much to compensate. I do direct at 250 degrees for prob approx. 2 hours maybe a little longer(can usually tell when there done by look). Try to flip every 20-30 mins. Sauce the last 20 minutes.[p]Can do lots from the freezer to grill without effecting taste too much. I often do burgers this way.[p]Good luck,
    Bean town

• Sigmore
    Sigmore Posts: 621
    Options
    bean town griller, I'm with you on this one. Haven't tried frozen wings but I do the frozen chicken tenderloins with Ken Stones Red Rooster Rub on them alot. I put it on wings too, but I like the fresh big honkin wings.

• Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    Whitetail, I cook with the frozen ones sometimes. I will mix up my marinade and pour it into the zip lock bag they come in while frozen. I then place in the refrigerator for at least 24 hours. Often times, when I place them on the grill they are still frozen but they cook up rather nicely. Try an experiment some time. Do some frozen and some fresh (thawed - most chicken gets frozen at some point in the process) and see if anyone can tell the difference.
  • Wise One,
    Great idea on a blind taste test. I'm going to do that. Thanks for the input.

• BIGJEFF
    Options
    I cook lots of wings for people all year round !
    Frozen works fine maby 30 min's longer. :)
    Nobody has ever said any diffrent. yyyuuuummmmm!
    see ya Big Jeff.