Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

In Search Of... Pulled Beef

Gfw
Gfw Posts: 1,598
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
There was a post earlier this week about pulled beef. Years ago, we used to make a great BBQ beef in a crock pot - why not on the BGE? [p]With that in mind, I went to my local grocery store - while I couldn't find a bone in roast, I did find an "English Cut Chuck Roast" about 4 inches thick - kind of fatty just like a Boston Butt. [p]It is now covered with Memphis Style rub [works on pork so it should work on beef - will be covered with mustard about 5am] and it will be on the BGE tomorrow evening right after the baby backs come off at about 6pm. [p]I currently plan to do it low/slow just like pulled pork. Any suggestions or comments appreciated.

Comments

• JJ
    JJ Posts: 951
    Gfw,
    I believe tht you are definately approaching it properly. I take left over brisket place in a crock pot and cover with my dipping sauce. Great stuff.

• Gfw
    JJ, until I founnd this forum and the BGE, I had no idea of what pulled pork was - being from the north (upper midwest), we're kind of a beef oriented society.[p]If it were to come out properly, just think of the party... a little pulled pork, a little pulled beef, a smattering of BBQ sauce, some 'cold' cole slaw, some 'hot' baked beans and lots of 'very cold' brew. [p]Life is Good!

• Kona Tim
    Kona Tim Posts: 35
    Gfw,howdy there----my suggestion is to let that sucker stew in it own juices--right down in the drip pan----and cover with foil---loosely, not crimped around the edges. Does it for me!
    Aloha,[p]Kona Tim

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    kona tim, your on target..:-)
    C~W

• bbqbeth
    bbqbeth Posts: 178
    Char-Woody,[p]Do you mean 'you're on target'? As in 'you are'?!
    I love teasing you!! ;-)

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Gfw,
    Be curious to hear how it does. I did a chuck roast once upto 180 deg - sliced thin for sandwiches with sauce. It was OK not great. I should have just shreaded it and added JJ's dipping sauce with it. It dries out like brisket so get the sauce ready. Good luck. I won't ask if there will be a picture.[p]Tim

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Gfw,
    Sounds like a plan. If it comes out anywhere near as good as the other cooks you have in your portfolio, you and your guests are in for a treat. I'll be watchin for the final report.
    Have fun. Life IS good!
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Gfw, off subject, but I sat with Bob and Mike at SA meeting yesterday and they said "you're always talking about all the grilling you do" and then they proceeded to ask me numerous questions about the BGE, the whats, the wheres, the how tos etc...so don't be surprised if the next time you talk to either one that they may be more knowledgeable than before...unless they were both just being good conversationalists and knew what buttons to press! I also extolled your efforts for the service you provide to BGE folks everywhere with your most helfful web site! ^oo^~

• Gfw
    one feral kat, thanks for the nice comments. I could see Bob at a BBQ, but not Mike - anyway it must be Friday - the baby backs are on the BGE and the attempt at pulled beef will be started at about 8pm. Have a great weekend.[p]

• Cornfed
    Cornfed Posts: 1,324
    BBQBeth,[p]Having never been invited to the grammar rodeo (...simpsons reference meaning "my grammar ain't not good"), I often choose cop outs. Don't know the proper punctuation? Use an ellipse... Don't feel like differentiating between you're and your? Use the colloquial "yur."[p]When all else fails, say HEEE![p]Cornfed
  • Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Cornfed, das right! write, wright....or ?? Youse got it good and proper voibalizing. I gotta quit this..:-)[p]