Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Raised rack question

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Firstly, thanks for the responses I received last weekend about my pork butt. I was seriously perplexed when I woke up in the morning and the temp was 170, then 2 hrs later it was 157. It turned out all good, hitting 200 after 22 hours (9lb butt). Going to calibrate my thermo this weekend, time permitting.[p]Next newbie question (I've owned my egg for <2 wks); I bought a place setter, but...a lot of the recipes I'm looking at call for a raised grill with direct heat. Is it that big of a deal to grill those things with a grill raised with a place setter legs up? I'm not sure if the place setter blocking the heat/flames makes that much of a difference. Thanks in advance.[p]Beefer.

Comments

• Bobby-Q
    Bobby-Q Posts: 1,994
    Options
    Beefer,
    A raised grid is actually just that. A grid that is raised above the main grid. They sell them at you BGE dealer. If they don't have one you could get a second grid and use some fire bricks to raise it up.[p]Using the plate setter either legs up or legs down will result in an indirect cook, which is different from the direct raised method.[p]Newbie questions are the best ones btw...keep them coming.

• SonOfDaMayor
    Options
    Beefer,
    For my XL I just went to my local home improvement center and picked up a replacement grill rack for another brand of grill, 4 carriage bolts and 8 nuts and washers. The carriage bolts become the legs and the nuts hold the carriage bolts at the right height. It worked great for me. Hope it helps.

• Retired RailRoader
    Options
    Beefer,
    Our esteemed profession of Eggology the Naked Whiz has a “grate” write up on how to make your own.

[ul][li]How to make a raised grid[/ul]
    Everyday is Saturday and tomorrow is always Sunday.