Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pulled Pork

Options
Skychief
Skychief Posts: 16
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I put a 6# butt on last night at 10pm. The dome temp was at 260. This morning dome temp is 260 but butt is 148 that seems a little low to me. Is it ok?

Comments

• SonOfDaMayor
    Options
    skychief,
    You may want to check your temp probe location and make sure it's not up against the bone (if your are using a leave-in style thermometer). If it's not against the bone, try a different location. If the location doesn't seem to matter, you might want to try an different thermo meter. The temp should be a bit higher after 9-1/2 hours of cooking at 260°F dome for a 6# butt.[p]SonOfDaMayor

• Smoked Signals
    Options
    skychief,
    Also check your dome thermometer ... put it in some boiling water to make sure it is reading right as well. My guess is its reading a little high.
    Could also be a really low plateau.[p]Doug

• Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Options
    skychief,
    I've had plateaus start at 140+º they happen. As a back up do as they suggest below, check your thermometers. Sometimes the particular piece of meat is just stubboen and moves at its own pace. Hard to mess up a butt/shoulder hang in there.

• Gretl
    Gretl Posts: 670
    Options
    skychief,
    Hard to figure when the plateau will occur. I've had them as low as 150 and just last weekend, the meat temp cranked all the way up to 176 and then sat there for an eternity. Fourteen pounds of pork shoulder, finally finished after 21 hours. Deeeelish. Whew! Hang in there.
    Cheers,
    G.

• Skychief
    Options
    skychief,
    Meat temp is on the why up now at 178.
    Thanks for the help.