Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

one feral kat

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Morning to one and all!
I read on this board about a fine combination of pecan and apple woods for smoking. Recently someone warned against mixing mesquite with I think oak, but I'm not sure...anybody have a list or individual suggestions by which we can build a list of "good wooden marriages" and "bad wooden marriages"? Thanks in advance!... ^oo^~
PS nice to have finally met you Gordon!

Comments

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Wooden marriages,
    Not sure of too many bad marriages, but one thing to consider is to treat wood like an artist treats color. Smaller amounts of the stronger stuff. Hickory, mesquite are very strong and fruitwoods are much more mild. [p]If you use too much hickory, you won't taste the fruitwood very much.[p]FWIW
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Wooden marriages,
    Someone told me that any form of mesquite (wood or lump) mixed with hickory (wood, not to much trouble with the lump) can cause a bitter taste "to some people". I am one - I avoid those two combos. I have no trouble with any other combinations that I have tried. [p]Tim

• Cat
    Cat Posts: 556
    Wooden marriages,[p]I've never been disappointed when combining fruit and nut woods - apple, cherry or guava paired with hickory or pecan.[p]Cathy
  • Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    Wooden marriages, Thanks for stopping by! We now have an egg community of at least 2! Best tio you and your family for a great weekend![p]Gfw