Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Buying new egg - What accessories are essential?

Ed
Ed Posts: 123
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Okay, I am buying a new large egg. I am totally new to egging and eggware, but have been seduced by the incredible pictures, the great forum, the fact that I haven't seen another BBQ or smoker that people use for 25 years and still won't upgrade 'cause they love it sooo much.[p]Anyway, I digress. What I need to know is what I have to buy with my egg. I am building a nice table for it, so I suppose I need the feet and not the cradle. I think I need the daisy wheel and thermometer, but what else? [p]I aspire to use this thing to it's full potential hot and fast, low and slow, roasting, pizza (can't wait and I'm making myself hungry.)[p]I am considering going to the OK egg fest, but don't think I can wait that long to buy one. [p]Thanks,[p]Ed

Comments

• Eggtuary
    Eggtuary Posts: 400
    Ed,
    Yes, you'll definitely need the thermometer and daisy wheel top. Those typically come with the standard package, but some dealers apparently charge extra for them. Others simply forget occasionally to package them with the Egg when you take them home.[p]For pizza and low-and-slow's, I recommend the plate setter. It's very helpful for getting indirect heat. A lot of folks recommend using firebricks instead because they're so much cheaper, but I find the plate setter to be very handy.[p]Also, don't try going the cheap route on your baking stone. Get the official BGE one because most others will crack in the Egg. Every now and then you can find a good one that won't have this problem, but you're guaranteed with the Big Green Egg version.[p]I really like my grid lifter. It's a pretty cheap accessory, and makes it very simple to take hot, messy grids off safely.[p]There are several different lighting options. I'm picking up an electric starter today, because my wife is willing to use it to start fires when I'm on my way home from work! I just can't imagine talking her into using a MAPP torch to light the thing, especially when one considers all the sparks that are produced.[p]Hope that helps!

• Eggtuary
    Eggtuary Posts: 400
    Ed,
    I forgot to add: Remote thermometers are really useful. I have a Polder like the one on the BGE video. It uses a probe that goes in your meat, connected with a wire to the digital thermometer. You can set an alarm to go off when the meat gets to a particular temperature, which is really handy.[p]If I didn't already have the Polder, I'd be looking at the Maverick or one of the other portable remotes. That way, you can have a readout of your temp inside, rather than running in and out of the house all day to check.

• Eggtuary,[p]Important accessories:
    1. A great pair of welding or firefighting gloves.
    2. Lump Charcoal.
    3. A means of cooking indirect, platesetter, bge pizza stone, or fire bricks.
    4. A big costco or sams club bag of disposable baking pans. I use these for everything.
    5. Something to light your lump. I use the bge starter cubes, but mapp torch, charcoal chimney, green heat or an electric starter work well[p]
    As time goes on, things that you now think of as "extras" you will later think of as essentials:
    1. Dutch over for clay's pulled beef
    2. Silicon mats or wire loaf baskets for meatloaf
    3. A small to compliment your large.
    4. A mini to compliment your small.
    5. Veggie rack
    6. Grill extender
    7. Wireless access in the car so you can check the forum on the way to work.[p]It never ends.[p]Matt