Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Bratwurst?

Options
T-47
T-47 Posts: 84
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I know its a simple thing to be cooking, but for you eggmasters...what temperature would you grill bratwurst at? Do you use a grill extender? Hey Smoke and Beers, you ever by from Uli's Famous Sausage at the Pike Place Market? Nice people and great sausage.
[ul][li]http://www.ulisfamoussausage.com/sausage.asp[/ul]

Comments

• SSN686
    SSN686 Posts: 3,504
    Options
    Morning T-47:[p]The cook referenced in the link wasn't only brats, but it does describe how I did these and that is typical for me.[p]Have a GREAT day!
    Jay

[ul][li]Brats[/ul]

Have a GREAT day!

Jay

Brandon, FL

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    T-47,
    this is backwards from most, but its the way ive been doing them. i let them cool slightly after simmering, add the mustard and some rub then grill raised grill direct

[ul][li]firecracker brats[/ul]
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • randomegger
    Options
    T-47,[p]I do everything backwards (which explains all the traffic violations) including brats.[p]I grill them first, generally direct but sometimes not, then soak them in a pan of beer in the egg. I think the cheaper the beer, the better. As long as you watch them there's no wrong way of grilling them. I'm in the neighborhood of 325 or so...[p]I like doing the beer bath last as you can fish them out as you need them and they really seem to carry the flavor. [p]RE
  • Tractor
    Tractor Posts: 288
    Options
    Uli's...do they ship?? I'd really like to try those brats!!
  • bobbyb
    bobbyb Posts: 1,349
    Options
    T-47,
    I can recommend the recipe in dr bbq's book. Did them last night and they were great. I'd recommend using 1/2 bottle of bear vice the whole thing. Takes too long to reduce, and the onions almost disappear.
    Cheers, Bob

• Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    Options
    T-47,
    Now you did it. I gotta cook up some brats. A little beer for the brats, a little beer for the cook, a little more beer for the cook.......
    Hey, it's a hot day up here and a lumber jack needs his liquids. Oh yeah, after simmeren I'll grill direct 325 dome for grill marks then it's back in the hot tub for the brats.
    Clay keeping cool

• T-47
    Options
    Tractor,
    Yep they do, I think if you check out the link it has instructions. And thanks for all the help everyone, I will give them a nice beer bath in some Redhook ESB prior to going on the grill. Got the Kraut heating up, and some grilled onions to top them off with.

• T-47
    Options
    Tractor,
    Hey they came out awesome, and everyone had two. I grilled two onions in butter on the stove, when they were nice and brown I added two bottles of Redhook ESB and then dropped in the 6 Thuringer Rostbratwurst for a 20 minute bath. I then took them aout and put them on the grill with the Fresh Spanish Chorizo and the Fresh Hot Italian's. I really think the simmer in beer and onions added to the flavor, I will do that agian.
    Thanks again all for suggestions.

• ajay
    ajay Posts: 47
    Options
    I do mine Wisconsin style. I steam them first in beer, a 12 oz bottle of beer will steam for about 25 minutes. Then I grill them, direct, generally at 350 - 400 for about 5 minutes per side, turning once. Then, back into beer in a slow cooker on low heat. Take em out as you want to eat, They're hot, juicy and have a great snap to them when you bite through.

For those of you who don't imbibe, the cooking process burns off all the alcohol so you need not be 21, or more, to eat.

Enjoy