Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Clay's Pulled Beef

Options
Wahooegger
Wahooegger Posts: 95
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Add me to the list of fans of Clay's pulled beef. I followed the directions to a "T" (the Egg performed like a champ) and the taste and tenderness were wonderful (I used the "wild boar soul" BBQ sauce recipe - absolutely addictive). My only question is why mine didn't "pull"? I hit all the right temperatures but when I took it off I ended up having to chop it up. I'd really like to be able to get the texture right becauase everything else about this cook was great. By the way, the guava I received last week added a great flavor. Thanks to the Kemps. [p]
33 days until college football, and one more great reason to fill the neighborhood with smoke![p]Wahooegger

Comments

• Bigfoot
    Bigfoot Posts: 154
    Options
    Hey Wahooegger,
    Are you sure you let it go long enough? Did you try the old "fork test"? Really - that is the best test! I am glad it was yummy - this just gives you cause to try again real soon!

• Wahooegger
    Options
    Bigfoot,
    You're absolutely right, this one's a keeper. I cooked it to 215 internal, but no, I didn't do the fork test. Is it possible that I should have left it even longer?

• badbruce
    badbruce Posts: 353
    Options
    Greetings Wahooegger,
    Brother could you spare a link for an egger?
    Cheers,
    bruce

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    badbruce,
    here you go - it is a winner!!!

[ul][li]Clay's pulled beef recipe[/ul]
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • RRP
    Options
    IMG_0436.jpg
    <p />Wahooegger,
    I probably have been the most vocal cheerleader praising Clay for his beef recipe - What is further unique is that I too am a huge fan of the Wild Boar sauce and like the recipe says - and I have tried it - it's even good on ice cream!!! One other twist that Clay didn't list in the recipe, but was in his original thread was to add a diced apple in stage two. For the last three times I have made this I have used a Golden Delicious apple and once all said and done the apple only becomes a secret taste kicker.[p]PS I even went so far as to buy a 6 qt Lodge Camp Stove style Dutch oven specifically for this recipe! Why? cauz Clay said that was the best vessel and since he gave us a great pulled beef recipe I figured why question his recommendation!!!

• Wahooegger
    Options
    RRP,
    It will come as no surprise to you that I bought the exact same dutch oven just last week! Have you consistently pulled the meat at 215 or used the "fork twist" to test it? I've also found that the sauce is even better if you reduce the amount of water by 1 cup. I truly think it's the best I've had. I'll give the apple a try, sounds promising.[p]

• Wahooegger
    Options
    badbruce,
    I see RRP beat me to it. Enjoy. In my humble opinion, Clay's a genius.

• Lawn Ranger
    Lawn Ranger Posts: 5,467
    Options
    RRP,
    Exquisitely well stated. Were you an English teacher?[p]LR

• Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    Options
    Wahooegger,
    I'm humbled by everyone's comments. Especially Ron's. Thanks big time!
    Wahooegger- I don't know why your beef did not pull but try this again. I buy prime chuck roasts at least 2" thick. Look for good marbling of fat in the meat. A lean roast is tuff to pull. Don't worry about the extra fat because it's easy to remove and discard when pulling.
    The only other thing I can think of is if you have 10# of chuck roast you can go 300 dome in stage two in order to get all that meat to 215 internal in a reasonable amount of time. Again, thanks and good luck.
    Clay [p]

• RRP
    Options
    Lawn Ranger,
    LOL - no, but after being married to one now for nearly 39 years I guess I learned how to write and speak and get "things right" with practice!

• RRP
    Options
    Wahooegger,
    I too will try your "1 cup less" but OTOH I only use bottled water vs tap water...

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    Wahooegger,
    ive had consistently good results from a chuck roast cut from the center of the chuck roll. different cuts may have different results. the plataue can be much lower than expected also. you dont want to rush it, ive seen the meat plataue below 140. i havent tried my dutch oven yet, however i foil at about 175. i use selter water and some bbq sauce at this stage, seltzer acts as a mild tenderizer and doesnt affect the flavor.

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Wahooegger
    Options
    fishlessman,
    That sounds promising. Looks like I need to have a conversation with the butcher.