Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Should I Buy a Big Green Egg, and if so, which one?

Options
2»

Comments

• Ed
    Ed Posts: 123
    Options
    Thanks everyone for such enthusiastic help. The pictures are mouth-watering and the enthusiasm infectious. I am heading to a local dealer tonight to check them out in person, so wish me luck.[p]By the way, does anyone have experience with the kamado brand ceramic? (link below)[p]Thanks,[p]Ed
  • Eggtuary
    Eggtuary Posts: 400
    Options
    Ed,
    I looked at the Kamado (online) before buying my BGE. For me, I preferred the Egg for three reasons:[p]1) I liked the look of the Egg better.
    2) Though Kamado also has a user forum, the atmosphere at BGE's was a better fit for my personality.
    3) Several users on the Kamado forum complained about long delays before receiving their cookers in recent months.[p]Kamado is supposed to make a quality cooker, but the reasons above definitely tipped the scale for me.[p]People around here try not to disparage other companies' products, so I'll be curious to see if you get much response to your follow-up question.[p]Good luck!

• Unknown
    Options
    I chose the egg because it's easier to move around my backyard, the community is great, and it was sold by the local BBQ Galore, so I didn't need to have it shipped.
  • Hammer
    Hammer Posts: 1,001
    Options
    Ed,
    Your question made the Jack beat the Queen! I'm sure that there a lot of folks on the forum with experience with a "K", however if you expect the Big Green Forum folks to endorse a "K" over a Big Green Egg, I would be surprised.
    I have no experience with a "K', therefore I will not comment; however if I thought it was better than the BGE, I would have one; but I don't,and probably never will.
    I am confused in that you would even ask that question, after you posted about wanting to buy a BGE, and asked why you should.
    The forum responded, and you stuck your finger in their eye's!
    Good luck with whatever you choose!
    Hammer[p]

• Ed
    Ed Posts: 123
    Options
    Hammer,[p]Well, I certainly didn't mean to jab a finger in anyone's eye. I was just surfing instead of working today and came across that big ole tiled "yard art" and thought I would ask about it. Perhaps someone tried it and then went to the egg and found the egg to be much better and finally converted the matsushustu (whatever) into an herb planter. Who knows.[p]I went to the BBQ store today and the sales lady there basically agreed with everything posted so far. --Lifetime quality, dedicated following, better food, fast lighting, easy maintenance, great versitility. They had a single large BGE in a nice table. It was a very nice looking set-up, but at $700... I think I still have some spousal convincing to do. [p]Ed
  • Eggtuary
    Eggtuary Posts: 400
    Options
    Ed,
    My wife took a little convincing, too. Here's what won her over (Our sales lady came up with some of these. I could have kissed her):[p]1) A nice gas grill can easily cost $500 or more. There are several parts that wear out over time, and require replacement. $700 isn't bad for a grill with a lifetime warranty.[p]2) Charcoal tastes better, but most charcoal grills take too long to light to be convenient for cooking during the week.[p]3) A bag of charcoal lasts a lot longer on the Egg than on other grills (although I can't possibly go a whole season on one bag). So now my wife doesn't have to worry about being responsible for picking up big bags of Kingsford every couple of weeks anymore. We also don't have to worry about a propane tank running out right in the middle of a big party.[p]4) Because of the thick layer of ceramic, the outside of an Egg probably wouldn't cause 2nd or 3rd degree burns if a kid playing nearby fell into it (this is not true of the bottom vent, however.) I don't think this can be said of other grills.[p]5) Since the Egg has such impressive control over temps, you get much more consistent results in your food. [I realize now this is a sort of code: A lot of women feel like they're throwing the dice when they allow their husbands to cook the main course.][p]6) Cooking with the Egg becomes such a hobby for a man, the woman gets to enjoy doing a lot less of the cooking (unless, of course, she also becomes an Egger!) Either way, there's a lot less clean-up than a meal cooked in the kitchen.[p]

• Unknown
    Options
    She'd be an immediate convert if she tasted steak or chicken on the egg. It sounds like you don't have any friends that have one, otherwise you already would have one in your own back yard. I guess it will be up to you to start the trend among your friends.[p]Have fun!

• Unknown
    Options
    Ed,
    I bought a large BGE 4 weeks ago. I was looking for a smoker, found this forum by accident and after reading for a couple of hours I was convinced. We threw out our gas grill the same day we installed the egg. Everything we've made has been fantastic, the best so far is fillet mignon and seared rare tuna steaks. Also done awesome ribs and cedar plank salmon. [p]One of the best things about the egg is this forum - no matter what your question is, you'll get at least five answers within an hour. Crazy.[p]My only complaint about the egg is that it doesn't include the accessories which really do seem to be essential, like the ash tool and the plate setter. At least, they didn't at my dealer in Canada. In the end I also bought a v-rack, drip pan, turkey roaster and pizza plate. That does add a bit to the price. But - in four weeks I've only used my indoor stove once. [p]Warning: it's addictive. You will do nothing but cook from now on. And your clothes will smell interestingly of hickory, or apple, or cherry or something.[p]Enjoy,
    Jill