Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Canuck Thanksgiving 2024

Did our Thanksgiving a week late. Tried Pepin's chicken deboning technique on turkey, trust me they are very different animals time wise  :)
SWMBO made a simple nut-free wild rice stuffing with bacon, cranberries and fresh garden herbs, precooked...

Air dried in fridge overnight...

About three hours at 325, then basted with homemade ghee and broiled in kitchen box...

If I may say so, it was one of our best turkey cooks...juicy meat, crispy skin, the stuffing and the rich sauce from deglazed pan drippings, all came together nicely...

Also made braised leg of lamb...

Lamb was good too but it was overshadowed by the turkey...

Someone brought homemade from scratch Caramel Pecan Ice Cream to wrap up...

canuckland

Comments

• johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,730
    Absolutely spectacular!!!! 
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 16,113
    Wow, what a feast!  

The Past, Present, and Future all walk into a bar.

It was tense.  

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 33,692
    Stunning cook across the spectrum.  Always a great banquet.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,993
  • Paolo
    Paolo Posts: 42
    Spectacular cooks and presentation!
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,829
    Amazing as usual!!!

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,779
    I did chicken ballottine for our thanksgiving 😳

I did a turkey a couple years ago and I promised myself never to do it again.  Taste was great but the tendons in the legs made it a nightmare to debone.

Yours looks fantastic!

Thank you all for the kind words.

@paqman I was thinking of your many beatiful ballotine chickens of course. Guess I didn't learn my lesson from the Turducken I did couple of years ago, this is 'easy' compared to that, lol. I used heavy kitchen shears to crush and break the drumstick bones from the knuckle, didn't bother trying with the back of a knife like Pepin on his chicken, haha; needle nosed pliers is your best friend for removing tendons, just grab and scrap/pull. If you look again, you'll see the ripped skin on one of the drums. Thinking of doing this again for Christmas!
    canuckland
  • dbCooper
    dbCooper Posts: 2,384
    All of it looks great.  And that pecan ice cream, what a finish.
    LBGE, LBGE-PTR, 22" Weber, Coleman 413G
    Great Plains, USA
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,821

If I may say so, it was one of our best turkey cooks...juicy meat, crispy skin, the stuffing and the rich sauce from deglazed pan drippings, all came together nicely...

Also made braised leg of lamb...

Lamb was good too but it was overshadowed by the turkey...

Someone brought homemade from scratch Caramel Pecan Ice Cream to wrap up...

Don't know where to start (or stop with this)
    1. Outfrikkin'standin!!
    2. Stealing the stuffing
    3. Can't decide which of these pics I like more. The presentation is just beautiful.
    4. "Also made braised leg of lamb... showoff :smiley: 
    5. And, dat ice cream... drool!

Wonderfully executed. No doubt you and your family had a great time. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • StillH2OEgger
    StillH2OEgger Posts: 3,822
    Wow, that looks amazing. Those photos belong in a magazine!
    Stillwater, MN
  • Whirlwind of a meal, right there. Amazing. Who was the mysterious ice cream contributor? Guessing it was family and if so, I say there is simply too much talent in your gene pool. 
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 12,003
    edited 1:52AM
    Thanks @caliking
    * Stuffing - My better half made it up on the go sans measurements using what we had in the pantry and garden, from what I can remember it's cooked wild rice, chopped fried bacon, dried cranberries, fried onion and garlic, sage, thyme, chicken stock, S&P. Wanted to add some cashew but got vetoed.
    * Lamb - It was Plan B in case the turkey got screwed up or ran out. Remember canugghead clan is growing   ;)
    * Ice Cream - from our D-I-L's aunt, I'm still enjoying some leftover, yum! 
    Edit: wow, just hit the 12k mark  :)
    canuckland
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 12,003
    Whirlwind of a meal, right there. Amazing. Who was the mysterious ice cream contributor? Guessing it was family and if so, I say there is simply too much talent in your gene pool. 
    sorry, wrong guess!
    canuckland