Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

amazon expander kit, did not fit in my big green egg

Weird, it was just barely to big to fit in my big green egg, guess I get what you pay for :)

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0D22CM2LX?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details
Big Green Egg
Blackstone grill
treager pellet grill
10" & 12" dutch ovens

Comments

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,817
    edited October 13
    Should have purchased from Ceramic Grill Store.  
    +1. I wonder if that was built to KJ (or other) specs, and they figured all kamado cookers are the same. 

@mackconsult - call Ceramic Grill Store. Ask for Tom. Tell him what/how you cook, and he'll steer you in the right direction. He's been an egghead for quite a while, and is not known for overselling.  

Edit: the CGS website can be overwhelming at first, given there are so many options. Which is why calling them can be helpful. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • yeah if you look at the amazon page they show 18" diameter, measured the egg and its like 19" on the inside at the top.  It was snug and push it in to get it to sit on top of the deflector.  When I took the deflector out it would not even down on to the burn bowl.  Returning it .......
    Big Green Egg
    Blackstone grill
    treager pellet grill
    10" & 12" dutch ovens
  • GatoGordo
    GatoGordo Posts: 83
    But all the other reviews on Amazon say it is great! Five stars!

I assume the one one star review is yours.
    LBGE, Stoker WiFi, UDS, Pit Barrel Cooker
  • zaphod
    zaphod Posts: 227
    i read the 2 and 3 star reviews. the 5 star are usually fanboys and the 1 star are often idiots.  I bought a light for my egg that has a mount which straps onto the handle and the light snaps onto the mount. it's rechargeable. the mini-USB is located under the part that the snaps  onto the mount. I think it even said that in the instructions. 

whole bunch of 1 stars that say "there is no USB charging port - piece of junk".  sigh. 
    ~~
    Walk softly, leave a good impression.
    large BGE, vegegrilltarian

• If only there were clues … like calling the top rack the conveggtor lol

CGS is your best non oem bet 
  • GatoGordo
    GatoGordo Posts: 83
    zaphod said:
    i read the 2 and 3 star reviews. the 5 star are usually fanboys and the 1 star are often idiots.  I bought a light for my egg that has a mount which straps onto the handle and the light snaps onto the mount. it's rechargeable. the mini-USB is located under the part that the snaps  onto the mount. I think it even said that in the instructions. 

whole bunch of 1 stars that say "there is no USB charging port - piece of junk".  sigh. 
    It appears that in this case the 5 star reviews are from shills.

LBGE, Stoker WiFi, UDS, Pit Barrel Cooker
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,128
    It’s possible that your Large Egg base is off. It’s happened to others in the past. I have a Small Egg that won’t fit some add on stuff that fit great in my 2nd Small Egg. It’s more common to see a base or dome that’s not truly round.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,985
    Photo Egg said:
    It’s possible that your Large Egg base is off. It’s happened to others in the past. I have a Small Egg that won’t fit some add on stuff that fit great in my 2nd Small Egg. It’s more common to see a base or dome that’s not truly round.
    I agree Darian about some being out of round - best way to determine that is to measure the diameter one way and then turn your tape 90 degrees and measure the other way.

Same way as the planes of some bases (more often than domes) being out of whack as well. The latter explains why some bases leak smoke no matter what gasket is put on.