Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I want to try smoking salmon not grilling but smoking salmon on cedar planks

scruffy1
scruffy1 Posts: 23
Would appreciate dome feedback please.

Answers

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 15,095
    I've only gone the cured and hard smoked route - smoked to be firmer like for a charcuterie plate. Find a good cure online, but watch the salt, some online recipes are salt bombs. Smoking temp is a little higher and more manageable than if you're trying to make something more like lox, but still, it's cool temps. I used an amaz'n smoker when I did it and that helps keep the temp under control.
    Not a felon
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 20,304
    I enjoy smoked salmon, never tried it on cedar planks.  I reserve cedar planks for my direct cooks.

Maybe your purpose in life is only to serve as an example for others? - LPL

• Braggart
    Braggart Posts: 247
    Not an expert by any means, but I have done my share of "cooking" salmon on cedar planks and "smoking" salmon candy (hot smoked).  I don't have a set up that is conducive to cold smoking, so I've never done that myself but I have seen it done commercially back when I was in the seafood business.

Having said all that, cold smoking and cedar planking does not go hand in hand.  High temperatures are required when cooking/smoking salmon on wood planks as the heat causes the wood to smoke, flavouring the salmon while it is cooking.    To cold smoke salmon, the wood/heat source is "removed" from the salmon, so the salmon is subjected to the smoke and not the heat.  

Trying to (cold) smoke salmon while on a cedar plank will only cause half of the salmon to "cure" by the smoke.  The portion of the fish that is touching the cedar plank will remain raw.  This is why salmon is normally (cold) smoked on wire racks, so the smoke can circulate around the salmon.

Using cedar planks (or maple, alder, etc) is a great way to smoke-flavour salmon, but the heat will ultimately cook the fish.

Hope that helps.

Large BGE
    MMax BGE
    Weber gasser
    Pizza oven
    2 Dogs Back to 3 Dogs
    No neighbours 
    Living in Canada's bush
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 33,287
    Low fire in the egg, long dryer vent out the dome to a card board box to keep the smoke cool is the cheapest way to go. Mount the racks in the box. I've only gone hot, 150f,for salmon candy on a raised rack. The two chamber for cold smoke will work though
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • dbCooper
    dbCooper Posts: 2,384
    @HendersonTRKing and his mailbox has to be the coolest way to cold smoke with the Egg . . .

LBGE, LBGE-PTR, 22" Weber, Coleman 413G
    Great Plains, USA
  • dmourati
    dmourati Posts: 1,289
    edited October 8
    Here you go:

https://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1232661/wild-alaskan-king-salmon-on-cedar-plank

EDIT: rereading and I think you meant cold smoking which I have no experience with.
    Plymouth, MN