Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Gochujang Baby Backs

Botch
Botch Posts: 16,081
Last night I de-membraned, salted, and wrapped in saran a rack of baby backs, to brine overnight.  Onto the egg this morning, then I glazed them with a korean-style sauce that I kinda made up:

1/2 cup gochujang (this is a fermented korean pepper paste, delish)
1/3 cup ketchup
1/4 cup soy sauce
2 Tbs shao-xing wine
1 Tbs chinese black vinegar
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp toasted sesame oil
As I heated it up to simmer, I tasted it and it was quite bitter, so I added a Tbs of turbinado sugar (both gochujang and ketchup already have a lot of sugar in them).  After tasting the ribs after cooking/glazing, the bitterness had mostly disappeared and I'll be leaving out the sugar (and the vinegar) in the future, plus reversing the amounts of the gochujang and ketchup (and I will be making this again).

I overcooked the ribs (my personal curse) but they were otherwise tasty, served with a side of homemade potato salad and dilly-beans.  Thx for looking!  

So the same people that think humans have no effect on climate change, now are convinced they control the weather?  

Comments

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 20,259
    Holding back on the International BBQ contest I see!  Those sound and look killer!!

Maybe your purpose in life is only to serve as an example for others? - LPL

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 33,640
    Great cook and points for a stand-alone cook.  Nailed 'em.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 16,081
    Holding back on the International BBQ contest I see!  
    Not quite.  It's not international as I made it up (do Koreans even use ketchup?  No idea).  Plus, the Kalbi that I submitted were 10 times better than the above, but they didn't photograph well.  

So the same people that think humans have no effect on climate change, now are convinced they control the weather?