Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Dropped my &$@!€%!! Ceramic cap…

I’ve been so careful…

when taking the cover off to take pics for the warranty process, the cover pulled the ceramic cap off with it and.. smashola…

ISO replacement cap…

8-D
Large BGE and Medium BGE
36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

Comments

• pherbener
    pherbener Posts: 3
    I don't have a ceramic cap. I use the daisy wheel while cooking. To completely close the top vent, I set a firebrick over it. (Actually, a half thickness fire brick.) 
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 16,025
    I wouldn't trust JB Weld for the fire bowl myself (some here do) but I'd have no hesitation at reassembling my ceramic cap with it.  

When does an old joke become a "Dad" joke?  When it's apparent.  

• OhioEgger
    OhioEgger Posts: 929
    Alas, I'm on my third ceramic cap. But my local dealer always has some in stock so I'm pretty sure it's a common problem.
    Cincinnati, Ohio. Large BGE since 2011. Still learning.
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,965
    edited August 29
    What took you so long  ;) Mine was JB Welded in my first year of ownership over a decade ago, still holding up well.

Over the years whenever egg cover discussion comes up I tell folks to be careful and not yank the ceramic cap off with it.
    Edit: When working at an egg dealer after I retired from my day job, I also warned every customer about this.
    canuckland
  • MaskedMarvel
    MaskedMarvel Posts: 3,191
    I’ll check my dealer. They’re awesome. 
    Large BGE and Medium BGE

• CPFC1905
    CPFC1905 Posts: 1,949
    I was despondent when I chipped mine, at first - then I challenged myself to see it as a unique feature.   A little less unique when I dropped it again - but it's patina of good and purposeful use. 
    Other girls may try to take me away 
    But you know, it's by your side I will stay
  • Sorry to hear. Every time I remove my cover, which houses two Eggs, I try to be careful about this. I’ve been close to pulling one off before and I have no doubt my day will come. 
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,756
    get a smokeware cap

+1 on JB Weld.  I dropped the cap of my original LBGE and it broke in half, JB Welded it back together and its held up for 10+ years.  Not the prettiest fix, but works.
    LBGE - St. Louis, MO; MM & LBGE - around 8100' somewhere in the CO Front Range
  • MaskedMarvel
    paqman said:
    get a smokeware cap
    I have one on one of my eggs. I’m in the minority, I know - I prefer the original DFMT..
    Large BGE and Medium BGE

• Canugghead
    paqman said:
    get a smokeware cap
    I have one on one of my eggs. I’m in the minority, I know - I prefer the original DFMT..
    +1
    canuckland
  • Haven’t owned a Smokeware cap, but haven’t been tempted. To me, they don’t match the aesthetic of the Egg that well, and they require cleaning, whereas the OEM setup doesn’t show dirt nearly as much. Maybe I’d be claiming otherwise if I tried one, but I just haven’t felt the urge. 
  • Canugghead
    @MaskedMarvel - large egg?

PM me your address and I'll send you mine as I don't use it.
    Nice gesture. Same size for L and XL.
    canuckland
  • @MaskedMarvel - large egg?

This is what this community is about. Great offer right there. 
  • Botch
    Haven’t owned a Smokeware cap, but haven’t been tempted. To me, they don’t match the aesthetic of the Egg that well, and they require cleaning, whereas the OEM setup doesn’t show dirt nearly as much. Maybe I’d be claiming otherwise if I tried one, but I just haven’t felt the urge. 
    I got one as it looked like it'd keep the rain out during cooks better than the DFMT; it worked, hasn't rained during a cook ever since.  Plus, my DFMT was "modded" when I installed the SMOBOT.  

• dbCooper
    dbCooper Posts: 2,343
    +2 on the DFMT.  My Smokeware cap only gets used on direct cooks, due to a permanent umbrella above the Egg.  Thinking there is any embers that might exit the top will be deflected down.
    LBGE, LBGE-PTR, 22" Weber, Coleman 413G
    Great Plains, USA
  • Botch
    That's a cool idea!  If I ever get mad at my Smokeware I'll give one of those rEggulator thingies a try, but right now everything works fine.  

• MaskedMarvel
    @MaskedMarvel - large egg?

Yea it’s a large!

I’ll put my address right here in the public forum! :)

Damien Raba
    2502 Walker ave
    Greensboro, NC 27403
    336/392-1954
    themaskedmarvel@gmail.com 

lemme  how I can compensate at least the shipping, my friend!

best group ever!
    Large BGE and Medium BGE

• buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,851
    Haven’t owned a Smokeware cap, but haven’t been tempted. To me, they don’t match the aesthetic of the Egg that well, and they require cleaning, whereas the OEM setup doesn’t show dirt nearly as much. Maybe I’d be claiming otherwise if I tried one, but I just haven’t felt the urge. 

cleaning?
    NOLA
  • buzd504 said:

cleaning?
    It’s been a theme on this forum and elsewhere for some time.

• alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 8,089
    Way cool @Eggpharmer
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,756
    buzd504 said:

cleaning?
    It’s been a theme on this forum and elsewhere for some time.

Dishwasher and it looks like new 🤷‍♂️

The above exchange is what sets this forum apart and above.  Most eggcellent @Eggpharmer.  A great feeling to be able to help a member.  
    Continue to have a great weekend.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Canugghead
    Super cool of @Eggpharmer, even with DFMT to boot!
    Years ago we were visiting a friend in @Little Steven's neck of the woods and he gave me a spare new ceramic cap, IIRC I dropped off a bag of Basque charcoal as a token of appreciaion. He also showed off his new Vacmaster chamber sealer, sealing a bag of warm stock, cannot unsee the mess, lol. Miss the guy. 
    canuckland
  • Eggpharmer
    Eggpharmer Posts: 500
    Glad it made it unscathed! I was kinda worried it might crack during shipping.

Enjoy!!
    Austin, TX