Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ceramic glue for the platesetter

Stormbringer
Stormbringer Posts: 2,245
edited July 8 in EggHead Forum
The platesetter on my MMX cracked in half yesterday. It's had a hairline fracture in it for 5 years, and last night finally decided to break. The break is clean, and the two pieces fit together fine. I was wondering if it would be worth trying a ceramic glue for ceramics, specifically a heat resistant one. A new MMX platesetter costs £75 here, and heat resistant glues are a lot cheaper (it's not going to be under warranty). 

Thoughts on whether this is worth doing, or just a non-starter as it'll break again / glue fumes in food?  
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
| Cooking and blogging with a Large and Minimax in deepest, darkest England-shire
| My food blog ... BGE and other stuff ... http://www.thecooksdigest.co.uk

Comments

• Tough break. 

I think most folks on here use JB Weld for such applications, though I don’t know how it will fare in your circumstances. 

There are quite a few threads about the use of JB Weld. Here’s an example. https://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1208072/jb-weld-platesetter-safe
  • Stormbringer
    Thanks. I had a read of that thread, using the weld lasted for three cooks. I wonder if I could wrap it in foil and then use some skewers to support it. Shame there's no CGS kit on this side of the pond. 
    | Cooking and blogging with a Large and Minimax in deepest, darkest England-shire

• dbCooper
    dbCooper Posts: 2,389
    These folks sell high temp adhesive products . . . https://ceramics.cotronics.com/
    *note that I have no experience with their usage in the Egg.
    LBGE, LBGE-PTR, 22" Weber, Coleman 413G
    Great Plains, USA
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,654
    Does the ceramic grill store not ship to you? 

I use the expander from them on my MiniMax. 

I would have no problem ordering one for you and once I receive it, ship it to you.  

Can you get a 10-in stone on your side of the pond?  I assume you can. That would save some shipping weight and costs.
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • chzplz
    chzplz Posts: 65
    Thanks. I had a read of that thread, using the weld lasted for three cooks. I wonder if I could wrap it in foil and then use some skewers to support it. Shame there's no CGS kit on this side of the pond. 
    Yeah, I repaired my firebox with JB Weld high heat and it lasted 3 or 4 cooks.  I wouldn’t recommend it.  
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,837
    I’d just buy a new one. A repair will likely fail at a critical time if your luck is like mine. 
  • Mark_B_Good
    Mark_B_Good Posts: 1,597
    You're going to spend money fixing something that won't last ...

I'd rather get a new plate setter ...

I would not use a chemical ... it isn't healthy, and wont stand against the temperature (sustainably).

The only thing I'd consider is holding together with steel braces ... drill holes right through the plate, and put bolts right through the holes, catching a brace on each side ... and probably at least 3 to 4 braces on each side.  But honestly, by the time you do all that ... you may as well just get a new plate setter.

Now, one last thought ... this isn't covered under warranty?? It should not have had that hairline crack in the first place!!
    Napoleon Prestige Pro 665, XL BGE, Lots of time for BBQ!
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 12,010
    +1 for steel braces, someone did that a while back. Problem with JB Weld is not high temp, it's the stress point...great for gluing back broken PS legs, doesn't stand a chance when it's cracked across the plate.
    canuckland
  • Stormbringer
    edited July 8
    kl8ton said:

I would have no problem ordering one for you and once I receive it, ship it to you.  

Can you get a 10-in stone on your side of the pond?  I assume you can. That would save some shipping weight and costs.
    Unfortunately they do not ship to the UK.

That's very generous, thank you @kl8ton ... I'm waiting to hear back from BGE UK as this could turn out to be a warranty claim (see the post below as to why). There's also the option of having some stuff shipped to a hotel in the USA that I am staying in later in the year, I did that a few years ago when I shipped a PSWoo home. 

• Stormbringer
    edited July 8
    You're going to spend money fixing something that won't last ...

I'd rather get a new plate setter ...

I would not use a chemical ... it isn't healthy, and wont stand against the temperature (sustainably).

The only thing I'd consider is holding together with steel braces ... drill holes right through the plate, and put bolts right through the holes, catching a brace on each side ... and probably at least 3 to 4 braces on each side.  But honestly, by the time you do all that ... you may as well just get a new plate setter.

Now, one last thought ... this isn't covered under warranty?? It should not have had that hairline crack in the first place!!
    @Mark_B_Good unfortunately the platesetter has a 3 year warranty, this is copied from the BGE warranty page:
    The Big Green Egg brand of convEGGtor and Ceramic Pizza/Baking Stones carry a Limited Three (3) Year Warranty to the original residential purchaser.
    and I got the MMX in 2016. However, and this is the benefit of never deleting items out of my sent folder, I had it replaced in 2018 as the original broke. The new one got the hairline crack in 2019, which I reported but said I didn't need a new one immediately as it still worked and I was trying to be helpful to BGE UK. So as I reported it within 3 years and I have the original email and photographs, the person I spoke to at BGE UK today said she thought it was a valid warranty claim that was being fulfilled 5 years later. 

• td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,838
    I broke a leg off of my platesetter and JB welded it. It's been working fine for many years. 
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton said:

Unfortunately they do not ship to the UK.

That's very generous, thank you @kl8ton ... I'm waiting to hear back from BGE UK as this could turn out to be a warranty claim (see the post below as to why). There's also the option of having some stuff shipped to a hotel in the USA that I am staying in later in the year, I did that a few years ago when I shipped a PSWoo home. 
    I'm serious! I almost ordered one for you today. I love mine on my mini Max. Please let me know!
    Grand Rapids MI
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,523
    Glad to hear they took care of you!
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, Med BGE, BGE Chiminea, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• kl8ton
    Thanks for the offer @kl8ton ... BGE UK today confirmed that as I had evidence back in 2019 and had supplied it to them, they would honour the warranty claim even though the break occurred two days ago. They are sending one out today by courier for me. 
    That's great! 
    Grand Rapids MI