Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

tried smoking a 6lb Brisket for 1st time used a Meater probe.

Options
Hi all, tried smoking a 6lb Brisket for 1st time, used a Meater probe after 6hrs, end time started to go up?  225F most of the time. internal temp was 149 to 160F wouldn't go higher needed to get to 205F I chickened out. I tested it, it was still tough, so I pulled it and wrapped it in Pink Butchers Paper for 1/2 hour got nice and dark but still tough so I gave up as we needed to eat! I put it in my pressure cooker for 40min and voila! Perfection. All's well that ends well! the question is why did my "end time" start to rise? Your help would be appreciated. Ide'F  Ian  London England.

Best Answers

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,264
    Answer ✓
    Options
    The algorithm needs a lot of work. Your best bet is to totally ignore the time feature and just cook to temp. 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,618
    Answer ✓
    Options
    @deFriend - PM sent with some brisket info that may help next time.
    The key to success is when the thickest part of the flat probes smooth, somewhere in the 200-208*F range.  Always remember, "the cow drives the cook."
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • CMH88
    CMH88 Posts: 41
    Answer ✓
    Options
    The timer isn’t too accurate. As was already mentioned, the algorithm probably didn’t plan for the stall that usually happens around 160 and kept adding time to account for that.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,846
    Answer ✓
    Options
    225 dome will take forever in the egg with the extremely low heat flow, i would bump those up anther 50 degrees dome temp. 6 pounder, was it a flat......ceramic cookers have low heat flow, steel ones have a much higher rate of flow which will cook them faster
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it

Answers

• deFriend
    deFriend Posts: 10
    Options
    Thanks for your help!  And because it was so tough, how would I have got softer Brisket?
  • Elijah
    Elijah Posts: 709
    edited May 7
    Options
    Plenty know more than me, but more time. That shouldn't have even been in the stall. That's probably what threw off the meater though. Meat temp went up rather steady until it started rendering the fat and then the meat temp starts to stall. The meater just compensates by adding more time. I always plan for more time on brisket and adjust accordingly to have it done a few hours early. If I cooked at 225 on the egg it'd just be to give it a few hour head start and sleep before bumping it up for the finish. 
  • deFriend
    Options
    Thanks 4 the info!   Ide’F 
  • deFriend
    Options
    So guys, as most of you have said forget the end time, then how do I know when the job is done? and the brisket is ready for resting?
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,722
    Options
    As @lousubcap says above….

The key to success is when the thickest part of the flat probes smooth, somewhere in the 200-208*F range.  Always remember, "the cow drives the cook."

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,618
    Options
    @deFriend  If you haven't done so, check your forum email for some detailed brisket cook notes.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.