Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cooking a whole hog

Options
Dmb3739
Dmb3739 Posts: 63
I am the proud owner of an XL & a Mini Max.  As much as I love the way both cook, I must confess I am completely hooked.  Since retiring 3 years ago, I have been dreaming of starting a catering business.  I purchased a custom built, 84" Lang Deluxe  reverse flow smoker.  I have cooked many things on my Lang. 

Later this month, I am cooking my very first whole hog. The weight should be approximately 130 lbs hanging weight. I've been reading many threads on various web pages and the cooking times vary anywhere from 6 to 20 hours.  Having approximately 30-40 people ready to eat at a certain time, I'm trying to time my cook.  I am wondering if anyone has done a cook similar to this before and if so, could you provide estimated cook times?

I am thinking that at 250°, the cook should take approximately 16 hours.  Any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated. 

Answers