Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Gap in Back of XL

Options
Recently, I noticed an increase in charcoal consumption on my XL BGE. Just by chance I was sitting on the deck and noticed a gap in the back of the Egg. I can see clear across from one side to another. Any suggestions? The local BGE store was less than helpful.

Thanks.

Comments

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,239
    Options
    Loosen the top band bolt enough that the weight of the dome causes the dome to rest on the base. Retighten the band bolt ensuring that the band doesn’t slip down while you tightening it.
  • Hokiejacket
    Hokiejacket Posts: 157
    Options
    Loosen the top band bolt enough that the weight of the dome causes the dome to rest on the base. Retighten the band bolt ensuring that the band doesn’t slip down while you tightening it.
    Thank you. I assume I need to keep the dome closed when I do this.
  • zaphod
    zaphod Posts: 7
    Options
    BGE has a youtube on how to replace the gasket, and instructions on how to adjust the bands comes along for the ride as a bonus to the video.
    ~~
    Walk softly, leave a good impression.
    large BGE, vegegrilltarian
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,239
    Options
    Absolutely 
  • Hokiejacket
    Hokiejacket Posts: 157
    Options
    zaphod said:
    BGE has a youtube on how to replace the gasket, and instructions on how to adjust the bands comes along for the ride as a bonus to the video.
    Thanks. I'll look for it.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,924
    edited May 2
    Options
    You have already gotten such great advice...but I'm just curious...is that rear part where your gaskets are burnt to a crisp is what you are actually calling a "gap"?  Is that what you have observed? 
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,607
    Options
    Never miss a chance to peddle gasket! just funning with you Ron  ;)
    canuckland
  • Mark_B_Good
    Mark_B_Good Posts: 1,528
    Options
    Winner, winner, chicken dinner.
    Same thing happened to me, and this is the easy fix. Just loosen up bolts, let it close the gap under it's own weight and retighten.
    Napoleon Prestige Pro 665, XL BGE, Lots of time for BBQ!
  • Mark_B_Good
    Mark_B_Good Posts: 1,528
    Options
    Yes, have it closed BEFORE you loosen the hinge bolts, or you're going to have a cracked top when it drops.
    Napoleon Prestige Pro 665, XL BGE, Lots of time for BBQ!