Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ceramic pizza plate combined with the heat deflector

Options
Question,  if I combine my deflector plate and pizza plate together on a cook (one on top of the other), will I gain any advantage of controlling the heat that rises up the sides of the BGE XL

Answers

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,043
    edited February 14
    Options
    I don't think it's going to hurt anything but might take a little longer to come up to temp with more ceramic to heat up. You should gain a little surface area to cook on as the plate setter still leaves a bunch of areas with direct heat around it. That's why I prefer the Ceramic Grill Stores Spider, ceramic stone, and drip tray combo as it evens out the heat distribution a little more compared to the plate setter. 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,916
    Options
    I do the same thing with my plate sitter and my pizza stone, but the difference is I separate them using three 3/4" copper elbows to create air flow so all that ceramic mass doesn't create a heat sink. 
  • Captnrontx
    Options
    WeberWho said:
    I don't think it's going to hurt anything but might take a little longer to come up to temp with more ceramic to heat up. You should gain a little surface area to cook on as the plate setter still leaves a bunch of areas with direct heat around it. That's why I prefer the Ceramic Grill Stores Spider, ceramic stone, and drip tray combo as it evens out the heat distribution a little more compared to the plate setter. 
    Your right, CGS, is just down the road.  Gonna stop by and take a look.  
  • RRP
    Options

Your right, CGS, is just down the road.  Gonna stop by and take a look.  
    Good idea to take an extra arm and a leg when you go as you will find items Tom has there that you just never knew you needed and will "just HAVE to have"!  =)
  • Mark_B_Good
    Mark_B_Good Posts: 1,526
    Options
    Is this for cooking meat or making pizza. For cooking meat, I can't see how it would hurt. For making pizza, you need that stone hot, so putting on top of the other plate setter is going to cool the pizza plate, and that's not good.
    Napoleon Prestige Pro 665, XL BGE, Lots of time for BBQ!
  • RRP
    Options
    Is this for cooking meat or making pizza. For cooking meat, I can't see how it would hurt. For making pizza, you need that stone hot, so putting on top of the other plate setter is going to cool the pizza plate, and that's not good.
    Depends on your crust recipe. Some need the high heat other recipes do better with lower stone heat. Besides that the way I elevate my stone off my plate sitter gives me more control and uniform stone temperature according to my handy dandy laser thermometer. But to each his own! =)