Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What Would You Do? *Smoked Cream Cheese Help

Options
I'm planning to bring smoked cream cheese tomorrow for our works Christmas potluck. I did the same last year and have requests to do it again. I've always smoked the cream cheese the night before and served at room temperature. It doesn't do the smoked cream cheese justice when it isn't warm. 

Here's my thoughts......

Do I smoke them tonight like I always have but reheat them in a roasting pan and serve warm this way? How does that work with reheating cream cheese twice?

Do I cold smoke the cream cheese tonight and cook in the roasting pan tomorrow? My only worry is cold smoking might be overpowering in flavor as I haven't done it this way prior and I have no idea what is too much or not enough smoke. 

Thoughts?
"The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,923
    Options
    If the way you have done it before and it got raves then why mess with success? 
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,047
    Options
    RRP said:
    If the way you have done it before and it got raves then why mess with success? 

It's more or less letting my head get past it. It's me knowing how much better it is when served warm. When the cream cheese is served at room temperature it's in a solid state. When warm it's easier to scoop and serve. 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • WeberWho
    Options
    I did find a few threads online about cold smoking cream cheese. I also learned not too many people know there is a difference between hot smoking and cold smoking....

I'm leaning towards cold smoking at the moment. I'm just hoping I can warn cream cheese in a electric roasting pan and not melt it....

Minnesota
  • WeberWho
    edited December 2023
    Options
    Cold smoking cream cheese. Here we go!!!

Minnesota
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,923
    Options
    Now THAT is one helluva smoker! BTW now I'm wondering how many pounds of cream cheese are you smoking?
  • WeberWho
    Options
    RRP said:
    Now THAT is one helluva smoker! BTW now I'm wondering how many pounds of cream cheese are you smoking?

I had intentions of doing 6 bricks this evening with two of them going to my wife's work. I held off on the two going to my wife's work until next week. I could have done the four on the large BGE but too much of a hassle to clean everything out. (I'm using pecan wood chips, old soup can, and a soldering iron for the cold smoke setup.) So it was just easier to set everything up and cold smoke with the gravity feed smoker. 

Minnesota
  • WeberWho
    Options
    ^^^

Minnesota