Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

EZ Drip pan alternative

Options
I’ve been searching Amazon trying to find a cheaper alternative to the EZ drip bbq collapsible pan. Every one I see is smaller. Love to find one about $25 or less that’s 22” long like the brand name one. Enough to hold ribs. 
Opelika, AL

Comments

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,208
    Options
    I use bulk purchased aluminum pans from Costco.  Then I toss them when I'm done.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,604
    edited December 2023
    Options
    I use bulk purchased aluminum pans from Costco.  Then I toss them when I'm done.
    He's talking about this I think?https://youtu.be/bwQimD1O8Es?feature=shared
    canuckland
  • scdaf
    scdaf Posts: 176
    Options
    Thank you for posting this.  Was not aware such a handy prep tool existed. Right now, if you buy two, the second one is 15% off and I was not charged sales tax plus, free shipping!

Finally, a container large enough to brine a couple racks of ribs that folds to about 2" thick for storage.  Sorry I can't help with a more economical alternative, but this seems worth it, to me.

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    He's talking about this I think?https://youtu.be/bwQimD1O8Es?feature=shared
    That is pretty cool, but don't see any benefit from an aluminum pan.  I shred mine in the aluminum pan too.  No lid, but a strip of aluminum foil works well.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,923
    edited December 2023
    Options
    I use bulk purchased aluminum pans from Costco.
    Pet peeve of mine is why “bear claws” or whatever you want to call them get a bad reputation when people use them the way shown here! All you have to do is extend your index finger on the outside and then you have greatly increased your ripping strength! I’ve even seen the claws badmouthed by supposed food experts and I am baffled! 
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    RRP said:
    Pet peeve of mine is why “bear claws” or whatever you want to call them get a bad reputation when people use them the way shown here! All you have to do is extend your index finger on the outside and then you have greatly increased your ripping strength! I’ve even seen the claws badmouthed by supposed food experts and I am baffled! 
    I love my claws.  I use them for handling all my big meats.  Shred and carry.
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    RRP said:
    Everyone has their own opinions. The trick is not letting others opinion bother you. Because it doesn’t really matter.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Canugghead
    Options
    RRP said:
    PSA - Don't claw too deep and perforate the foil pan bottom  :o  not a problem with hotel pan  ;)
    canuckland
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    RRP said:
    PSA - Don't claw too deep and perforate the foil pan bottom  :o  not a problem with hotel pan  ;)
    You can put a cutting board in the bottom.  Although, I really like the idea of a hotel plan.
  • Canugghead
    Options
    @Ozzie_Isaac Hotel pans are great but not for everyone. Works for me because I'm too cheap, too green and have too much cleaning time, to be using disposables  :) Can't avoid plastic bags for vacuum sealer though. 
    canuckland
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    @Ozzie_Isaac Hotel pans are great but not for everyone. Works for me because I'm too cheap, too green and have too much cleaning time, to be using disposables  :) Can't avoid plastic bags for vacuum sealer though. 
    You can reuse vacuum bags.  They just get smaller each time. I've even used regular ziploc in the chamber sealer.
  • Canugghead
    Options
    You can reuse vacuum bags.  They just get smaller each time. I've even used regular ziploc in the ,  seaaler.
    We do reuse vac bags, unless it's bloody or smelly. Smooth chamber sealer bags are easier to wash/rinse/repeat than Foodsaver bags because the latter has hard to clean channels and flattened channels impact performance.

Also, instead of buying bags of different sizes in the hundreds or thousands I bought just one box of 1000x 10x13 bags and cut it into halves, one and two thirds, quarters and use retired Foodsaver to seal the edges. By turning one size into five, everything I seal is almost exact fit with minimum waste and less chance of puncturing the 'overhangs' in my congested freezers.

Up here our milk is packed in plastic bags. 4L milk comes in three 11x6 bags, strong/free/perfect for chamber sealing. They're @Little Steven 's favourite and ours too.

canuckland