Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

3D printers for kids

Options
2»

Comments

• Corv
    Corv Posts: 384
    Options
    What's the impact of the humidity? Is it like the dimensional variations from a change of temperature?
    Thanks!
    Somewhere on the Colorado Front Range
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,676
    Options
    Corv said:
    What's the impact of the humidity? Is it like the dimensional variations from a change of temperature?
    Thanks!
    the water absorbed into the filament rapidly boils off as it gets heated in the hotend, that motion of the steam actually tears apart the polymer chains”

I somewhat agree with the conclusion of this:  
    https://toms3d.org/2021/11/23/how-bad-is-wet-filament-really/

My experience with “wet” PETG is that there is a lot more stringing but this is totally manageable.  I’ve definitely noticed a higher rate of failure with functional parts printed with “wet” filament.

Here’s a pretty extreme example of cosmetic defect caused by moisture, this is from a roll of filament that was left on a desk for a year.  I could hear a cracking noise (think pop corn) when printing.  This is definitely not typical though, problems are usually limited to “hairy” prints.

I store my rolls in ziploc bags with containers (which I printed) of silica gel and then in airtight buckets also with some silica gel.

Options
    Thanks! Good explanation.
    Somewhere on the Colorado Front Range
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,842
    Options
    paqman said:
    Corv said:
    Thanks!
    the water absorbed into the filament rapidly boils off as it gets heated in the hotend, that motion of the steam actually tears apart the polymer chains”

I somewhat agree with the conclusion of this:  
    https://toms3d.org/2021/11/23/how-bad-is-wet-filament-really/

My experience with “wet” PETG is that there is a lot more stringing but this is totally manageable.  I’ve definitely noticed a higher rate of failure with functional parts printed with “wet” filament.

Here’s a pretty extreme example of cosmetic defect caused by moisture, this is from a roll of filament that was left on a desk for a year.  I could hear a cracking noise (think pop corn) when printing.  This is definitely not typical though, problems are usually limited to “hairy” prints.

I store my rolls in ziploc bags with containers (which I printed) of silica gel and then in airtight buckets also with some silica gel.

im surprised they dont get stored in a slightly heated dry box. even alot of metal wire gets stored that way, i use an old surgical sterilizer box to store it and added a fan to circulate the air inside for certain welding wires
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • paqman
    Options
    im surprised they dont get stored in a slightly heated dry box. even alot of metal wire gets stored that way, i use an old surgical sterilizer box to store it and added a fan to circulate the air inside for certain welding wires
    Some people do.  There are specialized boxes to store multiple rolls of filaments and others that stores only one with an opening to let the filament out while printing.  The individual boxes are mostly for printing with nylon and TPU.  TPU can apparently absorb moisture within hours.

Personally, when needed (not frequent), I dry my rolls of PETG in a food dehydrator for a couple of hours prior to starting a print.  I only do this when printing parts that need to have mechanical resistance or when the appearance is very important.  I also do it with expensive filament just to make sure to avoid failed prints.

Options
    kl8ton said:
    Thanks for the replies!

Went with this @nolaegghead recommendation.  The entry level model was sold out.  Sooooo...next level up!

This forum is evil. Must R.E.S.I.S.T
    btw, have you ordered already? If not you can use code SMS10 for $10 off.

It is sitting in my office.  I need to wrap it.  Birthday party this weekend.  Thanks for the effort on getting me the code, but I missed out.  
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,617
    Options
    @kl8ton considering the costs of consumables, accessories, etc. $10 is not even a drop in the bucket, just like owning BGE(s)  =)
    canuckland
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,435
    Options
    He opened it today!  Knew the brand immediately. Hopefully we will get it set up and running this week. Between work and relatives and school stuff, it may not happen. 
    Grand Rapids MI
  • paqman
    Options
    This is an example of mild wet PETG filament problems.  The piece is covered with small “hairs” of plastic.  It can be cleaned and it will be fine after so not a huge problem in this case.

Options
    @kl8ton right now is a good time to get decent discounts on filament from Amazon.  You need to make sure it matches your nozzle diameter (probably 1.75mm).  You will probably want to start with PLA (easy to print, but brittle, doesn’t resist to heat, doesn’t resist to UV).  You will mostly likely eventually want to try PETG (somewhat finicky to print with, better impact resistance/more flexible, better heat resistance, somewhat resistant to UV).  For PETG, you may need a different build plate (textured) instead of the typical smooth plate.

Options
    kl8ton said:

Update
    Priceless smile! Does it float  ;)
    canuckland
  • Ybabpmuts
    Ybabpmuts Posts: 949
    Options
    kl8ton said:

Update

Smiles don't float. My cousin once made a toy boat oat out of old pig lips. It looked like the whole boat was smiling all the time. It sank anyway. 
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,435
    Options
    kl8ton said:

Update
    Negative.  😀
    Grand Rapids MI
  • paqman
    Options
    It looks pretty good from here!

I think that with a glass bed, you will need to use a layer of glue on the bed when printing with some materials to help remove your prints:

How did assembly and calibration go?