Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I have one weakness…

paqman
paqman Posts: 4,756
…sweet corn when it is in season!

I’ve seen @GlennM ’s posts about Ontario sweet corn recently and they made me drool!  We’ve had a couple of batches from the grocery store but nothing beats corn fresh from the field!  Well, Quebec sweet corn is here!  We have friends who sell it fresh from their farm and we’ve had the first batch of the season yesterday.

This one served with chicken but I could literally eat just corn for a month 😂🤣

Pics in random vanilla order:

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 33,547
    @paqman. That looks great however, I always enjoyed gnawing it off the cobb. 
    And congrats to only having one weakness.  I assure you that you are at the head of the forum class.  And well deserved.  Enjoy the remainder of the weekend. 
    Stay healthy and safe out there-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • dbCooper
    dbCooper Posts: 2,344
    Good stuff and versatile too.
    For those that prefer on the cob and struggle with buttering, this method is a winner...

LBGE, LBGE-PTR, 22" Weber, Coleman 413G
    Great Plains, USA
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 16,025
    @paqman , it looks like you're a "grill-in-the-husk, chop-off-the-bottom, then squeeze-the-top" corn cooker, which is what I do when the grill is fired up.  When its too hot out, I usually remove the husk, then just microwave for 2 minutes (slightly undercooked, but I like it like that!).

This may be a good place to ask the whole forum: How do YOU cook your fresh sweetcorn?  There's a LOT of different methods, and I'm open to trying new things.  

When does an old joke become a "Dad" joke?  When it's apparent.  

• Botch said:
    @paqman , it looks like you're a "grill-in-the-husk, chop-off-the-bottom, then squeeze-the-top" corn cooker, which is what I do when the grill is fired up.  When its too hot out, I usually remove the husk, then just microwave for 2 minutes (slightly undercooked, but I like it like that!).

This may be a good place to ask the whole forum: How do YOU cook your fresh sweetcorn?  There's a LOT of different methods, and I'm open to trying new things.  

I camped last week and we took a bunch of ears of corn. Shucked them and applied a melted butter with S&P mix before throwing them into a Tupperware. At the campsite, fired up the Coleman stove and gave them a go in cast iron at medium-ish heat. They were excellent. 

Somehow, I tried to do the same on the stove at home last night and they weren’t nearly as good. Guess I need the pressure of a camping stove, thunderstorm and a captive audience to work my magic. 🙃
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 16,025
    ^^^  ANY food tastes so much better at a campsite, it's just a thing.   ;)

When does an old joke become a "Dad" joke?  When it's apparent.  

• paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,756
    @lousubcap I definitely have more than one weakness 😂🤣, that’s just poor translation on my end.

Botch said:

@Botch SWMBO discovered the method that you described last year and we’ve been doing it that way ever since!  All my life I boiled corn after husking it.  My mom would add milk, or salt, or juice from a crushed corn to the water.

@dbCooper clever way to do it!  I actually prefer my corn on the cob, tonight was an exception. Ah wargames, that was a good movie!

I have two weaknesses, Ontario corn and Niagara Region freestone peaches. 

By the way, what's your corn on the cob nibbling pattern? I go piano style line by line  :)
    canuckland
  • Ybabpmuts
    Ybabpmuts Posts: 962
    I eat it the long way and whip it around like a whirling dervish. You lose some corn to the centrifugal force but it's fun to watch.  I can only do this with sweet corn, I tried sour corn once and I gagged 
  • Ike
    Ike Posts: 325
    Handy tip if you're cooking corn for a crowd, melt the butter in a paint roller tray and let everone roll their corn in the melted butter.
    Owensboro, KY.  First Eggin' 4/12/08.  Large, small, 22" Blackstone and lotsa goodies.
  • GlennM
    GlennM Posts: 1,396
    Great looking meal there!

Yup, I love Ontario corn. My preferred method is steamed until tender, cut from the cob, add butter, chilli powder and fresh lime juice - them a quick re=heat in the microwave. 

In the bush just East of Cambridge,Ontario 
  • My wife flash boils crates of corn at a time, cuts it off the cob, and puts it in freezer bags with butter, salt, and pepper. Then freezes it for later. My fake chompers make it difficult for me to eat corn on the cob. 
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,801
    Oh man... that looks so good! makes me miss Iowa corn...

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Teefus
    Teefus Posts: 1,218
    Just one? Step aside and let the pros take over. 
    Michiana, South of the border.
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,612
    edited August 2023
    Melted butter floats on water. Fill a one gallon bucket with hot water and dump melted butter on top. You dip your corn in and as you pull it out the butter clings to it.  I witnessed this at a sweet corn eating competition.  The contestants realized that the richness of the butter was not a great idea for the quantity of corn they were eating.

Edited for not being able to see what voice to text put in this comment field as I am on a mobile but using desktop version
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • stv8r
    stv8r Posts: 1,127
    Sweet corn, fresh tomatoes and blue crabs are my Kryptonite lol
  • poster
    poster Posts: 1,201
    Sweet corn, natures catalyst