Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Clean Out Burn - Without Ring and Bowl?

Options
I just pulled out my ring and bowl for a more thorough ash clean out as I do periodically and paid attention to just how much creosote is on the sides just outside where the ring is normally, on up. 

Has anyone taken everything out of their egg to do a clean out burn? 

I have a basket, so the coals wouldn't quite be sitting on the very bottom, but I am still concerned that the bottom might not take that kind of heat.  Perhaps take the ring only out, but would the heat to the sides be enough to burn off the creosote?

I'll take any advice.  My inclination is to just leave it and do nothing.  It's not harming anything and it's taken 14 years to build up to this point and it's not causing any known problems.  Thoughts?
Dallas (University Park), Texas

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,899
    Options
    Just scrape off the COLD creosote if it bothers you…BUT do not do a burn out without the firebox and fire ring in place. IMHO you risk cracking the base. 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • cssmd27
    cssmd27 Posts: 345
    edited June 2023
    Options
    Thanks, I'll just leave it.  Not hurting anyone and not worth the effort or risk.  I was just throwing it out there to see if it was somehow a common procedure to do a naked burn out.

At 14 years old, I also figure that I'm not too many more years away from replacement time.  Although, I highly doubt the interior creosote will have any impact on that need.
  • RRP
    Options
    Good...BUT I wonder what YOU MEANT about "not too many more years away from replacement time!

REPLACEMENT of WHAT???

THAT term is a new one to me!

• cssmd27
    cssmd27 Posts: 345
    edited June 2023
    Options
    Ha!  I figure that close to 20 years would be a good run for my BGE.  It might be time for complete retirement as we'll be empty nesters by that point and housing arrangements may have changed and whatever is new may not be conducive to a BGE.

I've never babied my BGE anyway.  It's always been out in the elements uncovered.  Still cooking along like new though.  I did replace the firebox under warranty after it cracked and fell apart, but that was a long time ago.

And, now that I'm over 50, I accept that my inevitable demise could come at any point.  Hopefully a few more good years for me too though.
  • RRP
    Options
    hmmm, kiddo...over 50...well youngster - in less than 2 weeks my odometer rolls over to 79. I sure hope I'm kickin for a bit longer and if not...who gives a rat's butt if the inside of any of my eggs are clean looking anyway? Know what I mean, Vern?
  • Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    Options
    @cssmd27, I do understand on an intellectual level what you mean by retiring your egg due to outside influences, housing etc. and admittedly over time mine are certainly not as shiny as they once were. But from a practical standpoint there is zero reason to replace your egg. It has a lifetime warranty. Now handles and bands or nests are different. That’s up to you. 
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • Codfish
    Codfish Posts: 42
    Options
    My odometer rolls over to double eights in a matter of weeks. And I have many bags of coal to use up, hopefully.
    Codfish