Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Rain on the BGE

Options
ThrRoff
ThrRoff Posts: 169
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am a relatively new user and perhaps have been overly protective of my nice new Egg. When it has cooled down, I cover it with the vinyl tarp after each use. I have found my self firing up my old Weber kettle on those evenings when I want to do a quick cook before a rain storm because there is not time to let the Egg cool. My question is; can the Egg be hot, say the dome registering close to 400, and can I put the tarp on? Alternatively, am I going to do long term damage to the hardware, springs and hinges, if I just leave it out with the daisy wheel replaced by the ceramic cap?

Comments

• tinman
    tinman Posts: 86
    Options
    Thrroff,
    about the only thing that will not weather well is the handle and that can be fixed by ordering one from Lawn Ranger. [p]I keep both eggs outside w/ no cover. I even cook in the rain. they are very durable so enjoy!

• Bobby-Q
    Bobby-Q Posts: 1,994
    Options
    tinman,
    Once you get some seasoning on the metal top it should be good for a very long time. The handles could be replaced by Lawn Ranger or you could remove the wood and put some varnish on them. The cermic is absolutely fine to be superheated and then rained on, it's not like fire clay, you could douse a super hot fire with water and it wouldn't break the Egg, the fire box and ring might crack, but not the outside.[p]I have had my large up over 1000° and it rained on it and it sizzled and steamed but never thought about cracking or breaking.[p]Keep the tarp off until it cools down, plastic and vinyl will of course melt.

• Hammer
    Hammer Posts: 1,001
    Options
    Thrroff,
    Something you might want to purchase is a 6" rain cap from your Local Hardware store. Made of metal; has four sides; it fits snug over the daisy wheel if you plan to do any cooking in the rain, as I occassionaly do.
    Painted mine High Heat Green!
    Hammer

• Unknown
    Options
    Bobby-Q,
    How do you know what the egg was thinking?
    Bruce

• Madhatter
    Madhatter Posts: 139
    Options
    Thrroff,
    I have 2 eggs and cook year round in the Seattle area, don't own a cover. I just toss the dasie wheel on the grill and cap it w/the rain cap, and forget about it....