Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Vidalia onions...

Options
SSN686
SSN686 Posts: 3,504
Morning All:

This past weekend I was judging at the Steak Cookoff Association (SCA) event in Perry, Georgia & one of the other judges asked if anyone wanted some Vidalia onions as they live near Vidalia...she & her husband went to a local farm/packing plant & got 25 pound bags (I got one bag of "jumbo" onions for $12.50 & they brought a total of 8 bags for some of the other judges)...

There were about 30 onions in the bag & all were at least 4" across...did one last night for dinner (this one is almost 5" across)...after peeling away the outer skins I cut eight slits & put in a pat of butter in each slit, then added another large pat on top along with a spoonful of Beef Better than Bullion plus some more butter & Dizzy Pig Shakin' the Tree rub...ready for the Egg...

The Egg was at about 450...this went for about 40 minutes & I then cut up the onion somewhat plus added about a 1/3 cup of red wine...(also doing a couple of baked tators)...

This went about 30 minutes more plus added the protein (the last two of the 53-day dry aged steaks)...

Didn't get any additional pictures, but the "beefy" tasting onions were the perfect complement to the steaks...looking forward to several more of these!

Have a GREAT day!

Jay

Brandon, FL

Comments

• ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,345
    Options
    Nice! 

~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    Good gawd that looks and sounds perfect.  I love onions like this.
  • JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,541
    Options
    Stellar!!
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,765
    Options
    Thanks for the post Jay
    I'll have to check wally world to see if they have some
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • stv8r
    stv8r Posts: 1,127
    Options
    Amazing!   I LOVE Vidalia onions anyway I can get them

• ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,345
    Options
    Nothing better than a onion and butter sandwich on cheap white bread. Lots of salt
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,895
    Options
    Oh WOW WOW WOW!!!! I love Vadalia onions!!! My problem is my stupidity by getting carried away and buying too many and then finding that they had spoiled from the inside out!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • ksmyrl
    ksmyrl Posts: 1,050
    Options
    Southern Classic. Well done!!!
    Fish, Hunt, Cook....anything else?

1LBGE, 1MMBGE, somewhere near Athens GA
  • gonepostal
    gonepostal Posts: 711
    Options
    You ate well!
    Wetumpka, Alabama
    LBGE and MM
  • rekameohs
    rekameohs Posts: 263
    Options
    RRP said:
    Oh WOW WOW WOW!!!! I love Vadalia onions!!! My problem is my stupidity by getting carried away and buying too many and then finding that they had spoiled from the inside out!
    Are you storing them so they don't touch each other?  Back in the day when it was a big event to get Vidalias, my parents used to use old panty hose - put an onion in the end of the leg, then tie a knot in it.  Put in another onion and repeat.  The whole thing would hang in a dark area.  You would cut off an onion every time you needed one.
    Raleigh, NC
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Yum!

I like how you roll... Take an onion. Then butter, butter, butter, butter, butter, butter, butter, and butter. Add some seasoning. Then butter :)

Do the onions caramelize at all? or just softened in a confit kind of way?

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • SSN686
    Options
    Morning @caliking 

No carmelization (too much liquid between the butter & wine)...just nice soft, very tasty onion (I like the confit comparison).

Have a GREAT day!

Jay

Brandon, FL

• SSN686
    Options
    Morning @RRP & @rekameohs 

How to store them was a concern when we agreed to get the 25# bag, but I think we are okay with what we're doing...we gave our son 6 or 7 so we ended up with about 25...we wrapped them individually in a paper towel & are stored in a cool dark place...plus I plan to make quick use of most of them one way or another.

Have a GREAT day!

Jay

Brandon, FL

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,765
    Options
    caliking said:
    Yum!

I like how you roll... Take an onion. Then butter, butter, butter, butter, butter, butter, butter, and butter. Add some seasoning. Then butter :)

Do the onions caramelize at all? or just softened in a confit kind of way?

just dont forget the bullion, a splash of white wine doesnt hurt
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • SSN686
    Options
    Morning @fishlessman

Got to have the wine...used red wine for the Beef bullion & the one I did yesterday I used white wine for the Chicken bullion...both were fantastic!

Have a GREAT day!

Jay

Brandon, FL

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,765
    Options
    SSN686 said:
    Morning @fishlessman

Got to have the wine...used red wine for the Beef bullion & the one I did yesterday I used white wine for the Chicken bullion...both were fantastic!

when ive done these in the past, every thing goes on at once and i wrap them in a ball of foil.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Time for some Vidalia Onion Soup!
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    SSN686 said:
    Morning @caliking 

No carmelization (too much liquid between the butter & wine)...just nice soft, very tasty onion (I like the confit comparison).
    They do look and sound delicious. Thanks for posting.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.