Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Non-stick pan recommendations

Options
After making a big breakfast for the family this weekend my wife and I looked at each other and said "we need new pans".

The non-stick attribute on our set seems to have lost its luster.

I'm sure the question has been asked before and I probably should have looked before posting this so apologies in advance but I'd like to hear your thoughts.

Thanks,
LBGE, 28” BS, Weber Kettle, HCI 7.8 SE Texas

Comments

• kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options
    I only use cast iron. I love it. 
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,487
    edited April 2023
    Options
    I've been using T-Fal pans, last for several years.  I'm due also, will probably opt for the Oxo Goodgrips this time (ATK test winner last comparo).  
    I can personally say NO to those ceramic pans; worked great the first time, like a T-Fal a week later, and in the trash the end of the month.  And, from the intranetz, it looks like those "hexclad" pans (heavy celeb endorsements) aren't really non-stick at all.  

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,529
    Options
    For big breakfast you need a BS!

For other recommendations you can wait for @jonessteave to chime in, lol
    canuckland
  • TechsasJim
    TechsasJim Posts: 1,909
    Options
    Botch said:
    I've been using T-Fal pans, last for several years.  I'm due also, will probably opt for the Oxo Goodgrips this time (ATK test winner last time).  
    I can personally say NO to those ceramic pans; worked great the first time, like a T-Fal a week later, and in the trash the end of the month.  And, from the intranetz, it looks like those "hexclad" pans (heavy celeb endorsements) aren't really non-stick at all.  
    Yes sir, the T-Fal are the ones we currently have and that's about all we got out of them...several years.
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
    We use the Oxo good grips.  I've never had an issue with any Oxo product and it is easy to find and get sent directly to you from Amazon.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,581
    Options
    I just ordered a 10” Oxo will be delivered on Wednesday from Amazon
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    Options
    Go cheap - replace often. T-Fal and OXO good choice.
    I once bought high end SCAN PAN non stick . . nice but after a few years it seems to fail regardless of quality.  
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • stever1888
    Options
    We bought this Henckels set from Costco at Christmas, and they have worked very well so far.  Good nonstick, even heating, easy cleaning.

LSG 20x42 offset, LBGE, 36" BS griddle, and more.  Piedmont Triad, North Carolina.
  • nealmgb
    nealmgb Posts: 70
    Options
    All-Clad.  Use silicone utensils.
    LBGE St. Louis MO
  • Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    Options
    kl8ton said:
    I only use cast iron. I love it. 
    I have used cast iron (almost) exclusively since I started cooking, 40+. The usual, grandparents, parents, then my own set. There is only one continuous issue. If you eat a lot of scrambled or do omelets, scramble them in a bowl, then pour into a hot oiled skillet. If you break the eggs in the pan and scramble with your utensil, as the egg cooks and the proteins tense up you will strip out the seasoning over repeated use. Not a big deal, a little oil and a hot pan, back in biz. This does not include full discussion on cast iron babysitting and maintenance, nor on what it takes to get new CI to cook like old cast iron. You can and it’s easy but requires labor and patience. None of this is required for Teflon. But the results will speak for themselves. 
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • Elijah
    Elijah Posts: 688
    Options
    I don't treat my cast iron any different than any other pan. I did for a while but got tired of it spending most of it's time getting stripped or reseasoned. It's just lodge, but it's pretty non stick even with the abuse. This thread did lead me to purchase replacement OXO for the wife though... 
  • NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    Options
    paqman said:
    Non-stick pans are disposable kitchen tools, go cheap!  I personally use a set (small+medium) of Oxo Good Grips since 2019 and they are still going strong (this is the longest I’ve owned non-stick pans).  I only use them for fried eggs and omelettes, nothing else.  For the rest, I use CI and carbon steel.
    Same 100% !!
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • TechsasJim
    Options
    Thanks for all the responses.   I was checking out the Oxo this weekend on AZN and seem ok.    I would prefer not to go cast due to the fact my wife will use them in my absence and she would prefer something quick and easy.

Just tired of throwing pans away every few years but sounds like that's about the way things happen.

Will keep everyone posted with what I end up with (sounding like Oxo) as I really only need a couple (we never use the small pans we have laying around).
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    Options
    I should have mentioned that I only use wood utensils in the non-stick Oxo.

Edit: Also have a nylon turner but I usually stick to wood.

Options
    All-Clad should last a lifetime. A smidge of fat in the pan will make it as  nonstick as you need it to be. 

Buy individual pieces that you use the most, instead of a set. They routinely have sales of seconds, damaged packaging, etc. pieces that you can get for a nice discount. 

The D5 line has bigger handles, and a lip that makes pouring easier. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • TechsasJim
    Options
    For big breakfast you need a BS!

For other recommendations you can wait for @jonessteave to chime in, lol
    I've contemplated a BS but honestly for what I/we do a big breakfast is about the only thing I can justify it for.    My family has downsized (due to marriage) so we only host a big breakfast maybe 2-3x/yr.    But I like where you went with that, solid idea.
  • jdMyers
    jdMyers Posts: 1,336
    Options
    Depends.  T-Fal killed my S. American Parrots with the chemical by fumes.  So I'm particularly picky.  Also almost every pan is non stick if it gets hot enuff.  🔥 
    Columbus, Ohio
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,108
    Options
    I like my cast iron and stainless pans.  Just use a lot of butter or oil and make sure pan and oil are hot before I add the goods.

If I really want a non-stick I have some enameled Staub pans I will use.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,771
    Options
    I like second hand Teflon pans on camping trips, at the end of the week I toss them.  The trick with a steel or cast iron pan is to get them hot before oil and or butter before adding anything. Put bacon in a cold pan and start cooking and it will stick
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • bbracey21
    bbracey21 Posts: 319
    Options
    I purchased a Misen non stick 10” and have been impressed thus far. Good weight and seems to be good quality. 

I enjoyed their knives so much figured I give other products they carry a try. Too early to tell on how long it will last but no issues or concerns in the last 6 months.

• alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,659
    Options
    I can’t get into cooking hot. Everyone says you have to get stainless or carbon screaming hot, that’s just not my style especially in the coffee stage of
    the day.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    I can’t get into cooking hot. Everyone says you have to get stainless or carbon screaming hot, that’s just not my style especially in the coffee stage of
    the day.
    Is that a thing? Asking sincerely. 

I may get the pan screaming hot for searing steaks. I have a Matfer- Bourgeat carbon steel skillet (no rivet heads on the inside of the pan, built like a tank), that I get screaming hot for crispy fried eggs. Otherwise, cook in them per usual. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    caliking said:
    the day.
    Is that a thing? Asking sincerely. 

I may get the pan screaming hot for searing steaks. I have a Matfer- Bourgeat carbon steel skillet (no rivet heads on the inside of the pan, built like a tank), that I get screaming hot for crispy fried eggs. Otherwise, cook in them per usual. 
    I don't do screamin hot.  I also don't heat them up on full whack at first either.  I start heating them on a low/medium flame, then set the temp I want.  I actually avoid screamin' hot unless something specifically calls for it, in which case I use an older pan.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    bbracey21 said:
    I purchased a Misen non stick 10” and have been impressed thus far. Good weight and seems to be good quality. 

I enjoyed their knives so much figured I give other products they carry a try. Too early to tell on how long it will last but no issues or concerns in the last 6 months.

My Misen nonstick skillet is right at four years old and still seems fine.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• CTMike
    CTMike Posts: 3,247
    Options
    We bought this Henckels set from Costco at Christmas, and they have worked very well so far.  Good nonstick, even heating, easy cleaning.

We have this same set - still working great after a couple years
    MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    This is the way!  Love my AllClad.  Everything has been bought from Craigslist, TJ Maxx, or HomeGoods.

I even picked up a 6 qt copper core essential pan from HomeGoods for a song and a dance.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,487
    Options
    It just occurred to me Bed, Bath & Beyond may be having a sale... :pensive:

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    Botch said:
    It just occurred to me Bed, Bath & Beyond may be having a sale... :pensive:
    Go now if you're thinking of going. I heard on the news last night that the window for folks with gift cards and the like only had a week or two to use them and that most of their stores will be closed by June. Might be some good deals to be had, maybe.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk