Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoked Jalapeño Cheese Meatballs

Options
This is a keeper appetizer.  Ground beef, breakfast sausage, fresh diced jalapeños, cheddar cheese and a cube of cream cheese in the middle.  Smoked with pecan @ 250 until the center was 160 degrees.  Amazing!!

Southeast Louisiana
3 Larges, Rockin W Smokers Gravity Fed Unit, KBQ, Shirley Fabrication 24 x 36, Teppanyaki Stainless Griddle 

Comments

• Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    Options
    Those look great. 
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    Looks well-executed. Mouth watering now. 
  • PoppasGrill
    PoppasGrill Posts: 356
    Options
    A modified turtle egg, looks very tasty.
    When I do turtle eggs I like to drizzle a little fresh maple syrup on them about half way through the cook, so 15-20 mins in.
  • Money_Hillbilly
    Options
    @PoppasGrill You are correct but the version that I did is a 50/50 mix of ground Chuck and breakfast sausage.  The rest is the same. 
    Southeast Louisiana
    3 Larges, Rockin W Smokers Gravity Fed Unit, KBQ, Shirley Fabrication 24 x 36, Teppanyaki Stainless Griddle 
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    Love this idea.  

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Bookmarked. These would make a tasty snack.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • TechsasJim
    TechsasJim Posts: 1,909
    Options
    @Money_Hillbilly

There are potentially a lot of options here, but did you offer a dipping sauce/glaze with these and if so what variety?     

The meatballs are right up my alley and I've brainstormed a couple options but since I'm not the originator I don't want to assume nor guess.

Thank you in advance!
    LBGE, 28” BS, Weber Kettle, HCI 7.8 SE Texas
  • Money_Hillbilly
    Options
    @TechsasJim The original recipe used a barbecue sauce glaze applied at the end of the smoke.  I though they were so tasty they didn’t need the sauce.  Just a personal choice.  The subtle crunch of the jalapeños make these an incredible appetizer 
    Southeast Louisiana
  • johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,581
    Options
    @TechsasJim The original recipe used a barbecue sauce glaze applied at the end of the smoke.  I thought they were so tasty they didn’t need the sauce.  Just a personal choice.  The subtle crunch of the jalapeños make these an incredible appetizer 
    Personally I am not a sauce kinda guy and I plan to do exactly what you did and maybe a dipping sauce on the side for those who choose
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • TechsasJim
    Options
    @TechsasJim The original recipe used a barbecue sauce glaze applied at the end of the smoke.  I thought they were so tasty they didn’t need the sauce.  Just a personal choice.  The subtle crunch of the jalapeños make these an incredible appetizer 
    Personally I am not a sauce kinda guy and I plan to do exactly what you did and maybe a dipping sauce on the side for those who choose
    I know my family and they would want something to dip into.   They look remarkable as a stand-alone (which would be for me).  

Regardless, great cook/smoke.    I look forward to trying it out.   
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,765
    Options
    Sho looks yummy!
    Thx for posting
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • texaswig
    texaswig Posts: 2,682
    Options
    I'm gonna have to make these. 

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    Options
    I’ve been thinking on this recipe and for some odd reason I keep coming back to using these in a meatball sub with a slightly thinner cheese whiz kind of vibe with sautéed onions and a medley of deseeded and deveined hot peppers. Just  sounds good
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,661
    Options
    I could eat those any way you served them.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• EggObsessed
    EggObsessed Posts: 786
    Options
    Do you have any recommendations for how to cube up the cream cheese? 
    Kelley 
    Egging with No Joke Smoke (Bruce), enjoying small town life in Brenham, TX., the home of Blue Bell Ice Cream.  BGEs: XL, Medium,  1 MiniMax. 36" CookRite Commercial Griddle, and a Shirley Smoker.
  • Money_Hillbilly
    Options
    @EggObsessed It is a messy job that my wife takes care of while I am dicing jalapeños. The best way we have found is to place it in the freezer for 15-20 minutes then use a cheese knife to cut the cubes. A small skinny knife is best since using a large chef knife it sticks to the sides.  
    Southeast Louisiana
  • PoppasGrill
    PoppasGrill Posts: 356
    Options
    @EggObsessed It is a messy job that my wife takes care of while I am dicing jalapeños. The best way we have found is to place it in the freezer for 15-20 minutes then use a cheese knife to cut the cubes. A small skinny knife is best since using a large chef knife it sticks to the sides.  
    I like to mix a can of diced chilies and shredded cheddar with the cream cheese and use a baggy with the corner cut off to squeeze onto the pattied sausage before rolling it up.
    will be sure to try the ground chuck mixed in with sausage and cheese, that’s a great idea . Those do look tasty.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    Dip the knife in hot water.i do that with a spoon stuffing jalapenos and it doesn't stick much. I just leave the hot water running in the sink but with a knife simmering it might be better
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Waxed, unflavored dental floss should work. Freezing the block for a bit will definitely help.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • TechsasJim
    Options
    I have a cheese wire whenever I do things with cream cheese that take fine skills.    A bit of time in the freezer, as mentioned above, always helps the process.