Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Why not go boneless?

Options
I was perusing the meat department at Costco last week and came across a good price on Pork Belly. Most were huge but they had a decent seven pounder I brought home. Half was cubed up for burnt ends (we call them meat candy) and the other half went in the freezer. It was a very meaty belly and the burnt ends turned out exceptionally well. I think next week I'll do the other half of the belly like it was a big boneless slab of ribs, which I guess it basically is. Any eggers out there ever do this?
Michiana, South of the border.

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,349
    Options
    Yep- scroll thru the below thread at page 159 you will get a great opener from @CPFC1905 regarding stand alone pork belly.

What Are You Chef-ing Tonight, Dr? 

Since then I have frequently experimented with the cook- amd here is where I have landed:
    1) 24-36 hours pre-cook. Score skin, apply heavy layer of fine (table) salt - leave uncovered in the fridge. 
    2) Several hours later, mop moisture off the top of the skin and re-salt.
    3) Repeat once or twice more until skin looks and feels dry.   This builds in a strong salty flavour(nod)  to the skin, too.  Just prior to starting the cook, inject with a 50/50 apple juice and apple cider mixture or another flavour (nod) preference.
    4) Fire up the Egg, add plate setter, air gapped drip pan and get it around to 450 dome temp, keep it around there with the belly on for around 45-50 mins. Skin side up.
    5)
    Close the vents and let it roll for another 20 / 25 mins. You'll sail through the min IT (165*F)  but the moisture remains.  Take it to around 175-180*F.  The fat will render to give a bit of natural smoke off the plate setter.  
    6) Slice it in whatever form you want/need.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options
    TNWSS
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • AlmaHolzhert
    Options
    I'll have to try this!  
  • Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    Options
    Pork Belly cooked L&S with apple or cherry like ribs should be illegal. It is simply unbelievable. I don’t like it with any sugar/honey etc. can’t eat a lot at one time but awesome as part of the entire meal
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • Teefus
    Teefus Posts: 1,208
    Options
    I did the rest of the belly yesterday and it was awesome. I'm having a bite for lunch as I type this.
    Michiana, South of the border.
  • briwald
    briwald Posts: 103
    Options
    I did one around Christmas time. Brined it with pink curing salt, pepper, bay leaves and thyme.  Let it brine for 7 days, smoked L&S, and had a delightful breakfast Christmas morning. 
    Maitland, FL
    XL BGE since 2019