Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Small Brisket Egg Time

I know I have asked a similar question before, but I’m still trying to get a handle on how long a 4 1/2# brisket should take at about 240. With some earlier experience, I’m thinking about 8 or 10 hours. I’ve read thru everything that the search feature yields and see some great discussion, but not much on how long it may take. I’ve done a lot of briskets but only one small flat. Thanks for your help. 

Best Answer

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,162
    Answer ✓
    Here's a flat recipe that has gotten great reviews. 
    https://biggreenegg.com/recipes/dr-bbq-coffee-brisket/
    My experience is that the lower weight proteins (brisket and pork butt) run longer per lb than the the larger cuts.  
    That said, give yourself a wide window to nail the finish (probes like butter).  Where I am going with this- 
    You have a target slice (only on demand) serve time.
    Back that up by 2-6 hours as a target finish window time.
    Then start your cook to hit early in the window.  Once you finish the cook, FTC will bring it home.
    Your estimate of time at 240*F (calibrated dome) is well within what you should see.  Remember you can dial the cook temp up or down and use BP or foil to manage the finish time. FWIW-

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.

Answers