Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

NOMA and the Fine Dining Experience

Options
Ozzie_Isaac
Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,107
edited January 2023 in EggHead Forum
Interesting article on the exploitation of labor in the world of fine dining.  I find it interesting because Rene Redzepi said the current state of fine dining was not sustainable.  Now an alternate narrative is coming out. Basically exploration allowed Noma to succeed and now when they must pay their "interns" they are closing.

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2023/01/noma-copenhagen-fine-dining-unsustainable/672738/
They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin

Comments

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    My guess is that 95% of all restaurants exploit their workers.
    The NYTimes had an interesting article in this regard today:

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    Oh yeah, I agree.  My wife used to be a prep cook at a high end restaurant in town.  Her hours & pay & responsibilities didn't really align.  There were also undocumented workers, not sure how fairly they were treated.  The blind eye turned to drug use was probably part of the calculus for some of the employees.

One cool thing that came out of her job, was her time in pastries.  She got one of her creations on the desert menu.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    Also, thank you for sharing the article @HeavyG
  • hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980
    Options
    Like it or not that is the way of fine dining and ultra fine dining. 
    Coming out of culinary school with a diploma doesnt mean much in the industry. Sure you took some classes and know how to cut and know the lingo but it doesnt mean you can cook. 
    I have had many students come through my doors that went to culinary school and didnt know much. As in every profession there are those that want to do it and those that dont. 
    If you want to make a name for yourself you work at these establishments to gain experience and move up the ranks in position. Again coming out of culinary school with a diploma or your government certification, you dont make money, not like most other trades. A plumber finishing his certification can make a good living, a cook cannot. 
    You have to garner experience working for others and logging in your time. That is why you work at these places. They dont teach what they do at these restaurants in school. Being a chef is all about experiences and where you have worked.  

I will fully admit that ideology is falling to the way side and has been for several years already. My sous chef and I were talking just the other day how the places we worked at in the old days dont do the Chefs Tables or the like anymore. 
    I worked many banquets for free after working my normal shift to be able to work with the provincial culinary Team with hoes to one day make it to the team. I was successful in my goal, back in 2004 and competed and the Culinary Olympics in Erfurt Germany. 
    Now there is no provincial team, and no one talks of the Olympics anymore. In some places yes but not in my city.