Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Green Lightning Shrimp and some Lessons Learned

Options
dmourati
dmourati Posts: 1,268
edited January 2023 in EggHead Forum
I recently read a study saying that kids who eat fish/seafood regularly have a higher IQ and better sleep. That got me thinking, how can I get more seafood into my 6yo's diet? I remembered he seemed to enjoy Green Lightning Shrimp so I set out to make it again. I did it twice last December and just made it again tonight.

Here are a few photos of the final shrimp as they came off the Egg.

I've also been spending a lot of time reading and making recipes by Kenji and Serious Eats.

A few things I learned:

1. Shrimp is done at 120F. I learned this from Thermoworks.

2. Undercooked shrimp is really unpleasant to eat. One of the last ones tonight was underdone and it was gross.

3. The Maillard reaction can only take place when all the water/moisture is gone from the protein. I tried patting the shrimp with paper towel and leaving them on a wire rack in the refrigerator for an hour. These steps helped but I feel I could have done a better job dealing with the moisture.

4. Sugar helps the shrimp brown faster.

5. Baking soda helps the shrimp firm up and helps browning.

6. Packing the shrimp tightly on the skewer and alternating their orientation helps the shrimp cook more evenly. You can kind of see how I tried to do that above.

These are a few lessons learned I would like to pass on for your consideration. Enjoy your next GLS!

Mountain View, CA

Comments

• bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,727
    Options
    Those look good!
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket, Minimax and various Weber's.
    Floyd Va

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    That’s a great recipe.
    Using a cast iron griddle or some type of flat griddle gives an amazing char/crust much easier than just direct grilling.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    Options
    Great post.  I used to make these a lot, but it has been years.  Yours look very good !!
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • FrostyEgg
    FrostyEgg Posts: 583
    edited January 2023
    Options
    Solid! I'll take this as a reminder to slip these back into the rotation. It's been a long time, but they're always great!
  • RajunCajun
    RajunCajun Posts: 1,035
    Options
    Did these once from necessary indulgences.com and was just saying to my wife that we need to do that again.  Definitely a two thumbs up!!  Very nice.
    The problem with a problem is that you don't know it's a problem until it's a problem, and that is a big problem.
    Holding the company together with three spreadsheets and two cans connected by a long piece of string.
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    dmourati said:
    Cooked these again tonight. Thanks @danhoo and @Photo Egg for the flat top idea. As it happens, I’ve got a pizza steel in heavy rotation. Tonight’s effort:

Awesome photo!
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • stv8r
    stv8r Posts: 1,127
    Options
    danhoo said:
    I made these tonight. YUM. 

I didn't bother lighting coal, but I did use the swing up side table on the BGE. 

Let's talk about those onion rings?

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,740
    Options
    More butter, and those onion rings look great.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • danhoo
    danhoo Posts: 683
    Options
    stv8r said:
    danhoo said:
    I made these tonight. YUM. 

I didn't bother lighting coal, but I did use the swing up side table on the BGE. 

Let's talk about those onion rings?

I Just noticed your reply.  There's not much to talk about I have yet to master home made O-Rings so I keep a bag of these at the ready. A few mins in the air fryer and they are perfect.

I'll be making this again tonight.
    current: | Large BGE |  Genesis 1000 | Genesis E330 | 22 inch Kettle | Weber Summit Kamado
    sold:| PitBoss pro 820  WSM 22 
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,052
    Options
    Those are great onion rings @danhoo … enjoy them here too.  Just remembered I haven’t used the cast iron ps that @theyolksonyou gifted me in quite some time. Also been awhile since doing the green lightning shrimp. Works well for this recipe and gives the crispy charred crust. Might hafta break out the skewers tomorrow.