Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Clean Burn

Options
I did a clean burn on my 2 larges a couple of weeks ago and obviously the stainless is very discolored.   I removed the thermometer but forgot the grates and woo.  I have only done this once in over 10 years of egging but both eggs were pretty coked up with gunk and needed new gaskets anyway.  Any way to bring the stainless back to shiny?
Southeast Louisiana
3 Larges, Rockin W Smokers Gravity Fed Unit, KBQ, Shirley Fabrication 24 x 36, Teppanyaki Stainless Griddle 

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I find regular oven cleaner works great for the initial cleaning.  Heat up the parts to around 150-200F (below boiling), spray it on, scrub rinse.  

Then stainless steel cleaner, vinegar or whatever for the final wipe if it's not subject to heat, but otherwise it should almost look new. 
    @nolaegghead I did oven cleaner for the adjustable rig and it is shiny as new but the woos and round OEM grids left in the egg and exposed to high temps are dull oxidized/rust looking.  Any way to bring them back?
    Southeast Louisiana
    3 Larges, Rockin W Smokers Gravity Fed Unit, KBQ, Shirley Fabrication 24 x 36, Teppanyaki Stainless Griddle 
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,086
    Options
    @nolaegghead I did oven cleaner for the adjustable rig and it is shiny as new but the woos and round OEM grids left in the egg and exposed to high temps are dull oxidized/rust looking.  Any way to bring them back?
    I do not know the cres that BGE uses, but suspect it is 304.  304 stainless is good for about 1,600 deg F before you will hurt the corrosion resistance permanently.  You probably just oxidized the surface.  You can use as is and it may eventually clean up, or you can use bar keepers friend and some elbow grease.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,378
    edited January 2023
    Options
    Have never thought of a dedicated clean burn.  Likely why my tastes need some refining.  But no worries, that will happen in my next life.  
    But to each their own.  Whatever works for you.  
    Edit for spelling-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • TechsasJim
    TechsasJim Posts: 1,909
    Options
    I do thermal cleans 1-2x/yr.    Normally around the same time I want to get new grates anyway but it does really help turn the gunk in the egg into organic carbon dust for a nice clean.   
    LBGE, 28” BS, Weber Kettle, HCI 7.8 SE Texas
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I do not know the cres that BGE uses, but suspect it is 304.  304 stainless is good for about 1,600 deg F before you will hurt the corrosion resistance permanently.  You probably just oxidized the surface.  You can use as is and it may eventually clean up, or you can use bar keepers friend and some elbow grease.
    Barkeepers friend is a good compound, but needs some elbow grease or a rotary buffer.  

Anything with oxalic acid in it (incl Barkeepers Friend) should help.  Oxalic acid is a reducing agent that attacks oxides and chelates (grabs) metal ions.  Hull cleaners have all the good stuff.  Metal prep, which has phosphoric acid may work.  

Ozzy is correct about the stainless changing composition at high temps. Usually that’s near the surface so maybe wet sand and buff with compound.

or maybe bead blast it for a cool mat finish that you could always restore with another blasting.
    Options
    Barkeepers friend is a good compound, but needs some elbow grease or a rotary buffer.  

Anything with oxalic acid in it (incl Barkeepers Friend) should help.  Oxalic acid is a reducing agent that attacks oxides and chelates (grabs) metal ions.  Hull cleaners have all the good stuff.  Metal prep, which has phosphoric acid may work.  

Ozzy is correct about the stainless changing composition at high temps. Usually that’s near the surface so maybe wet sand and buff with compound.

or maybe bead blast it for a cool mat finish that you could always restore with another blasting.
    If you want shiny, sand it, buff it, and send it out for electropolish......what a waste of time and money =)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    Options
    I would cook a pork butt on it.  Problem solved.
    Clinton, Iowa