Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

LID STUCK OPEN

Options
I was cooking wings at 400F and the second time I opened the lid to check them, it stuck open.when I try to close it I can not get it to close. seems like something is hung up.   I have 15 year old XL with original bands.  Any suggestions? I plan to call BGE tomorrow but wondered if anyone else had same problem and how fixed.

Thanks
I XL  and 1 Weber Kettle  And 1 Weber Q220       Outside Alvin, TX-- South of Houston

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,391
    edited January 2023
    Options
    No XL here but loosen anything associated with the hinge and spring assembly.  That should free things up.  
    Beyond that give the search function here a look as you are not the first one to experience this issue.
    Happy New Year!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • OhioEgger
    OhioEgger Posts: 903
    Options
    Seems like you should be able to unhook the springs. But do it carefully -- those suckers are strong.
    Cincinnati, Ohio. Large BGE since 2011. Still learning.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,108
    Options
    Have had that problem before.  Was related to a fastener tightening up.  As @lousubcap recommended, loosen bolts that hold the movey bits together.  Be careful while you do it, it may come free in a hurry.

I would not mess the springs at the moment.  
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    edited January 2023
    Options
     loosen bolts that hold the movey bits together
    LOL - “movey bits” ??? That is an engineering term I have not encountered before…I never thought of big yellow Caterpillars consisting of bunches of “movey” parts =)=)=) Happy New Year, buddy!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,108
    Options
    RRP said:
     loosen bolts that hold the movey bits together
    LOL - “movey bits” ??? That is an engineering term I have not encountered before…I never thought of big yellow Caterpillars consisting of bunches of “movey” parts =)=)=) Happy New Year, buddy!
    Glad you enjoyed my edumacated words 😁

Happy New Year my friend!  I hope you have a happy and healthy year ahead of you.

They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin