Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Maple bourbon smoked ham ~negative tempsps

Options
jdMyers
jdMyers Posts: 1,336
What a battle to get the grill up to temp.

Found some bourbon barrell wood to try and smoke with.  Used a maple seasoning and bourbon powder on a mustard binder.

Doing a orange juice, light brown sugar, bourbon, and cherry preserve glaze smoked on the egg in butter.  We will see.

Columbus, Ohio

Comments

• loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,765
    Options
    nice looking cook!
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,393
    Options
    Should you decide to down the maple-bourbon route again, below is a link to a deservedly highly regarded recipe:  Always a winner here.

Maple-Bourbon Ham  

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,661
    Options
    Looks great JD

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• 6baluts
    6baluts Posts: 273
    edited December 2022
    Options
    @jdMyers
    - That ham looks incredible. Great job!!!
    - My better 95% gets finicky about the "slice flop" and insists on food netting. Not sure if it effects the glaze process BUT it is a pita to snip off.
    - Once again great job.
  • jdMyers
    Options
    Now sir.  Mine too had a problem with it.  For me the glaze process of painting between the slices is a must.  I use a turkey injector to spritz apple juice between the slices during rhe cook as well.   Super moist.

Funny.....
    Columbus, Ohio
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    Great looking ham.  If you cook it vertically (big end face down), you don’t get the slice flop, so it dries out less. Easier to glaze too.
  • jdMyers
    edited December 2022
    Options
    That is an excellent tip.  I started mine on the grate.  Switched to a foil pan with bourbon and apple juice inside.  Syringing often from the juices.  Spritz with I mist of I cannot believe it's not butter.  Then removing and finishing back on the grate.   Also did a typical ham separate.  I never saw a ham butchered ta death so quickly.

Columbus, Ohio
  • TideEggHead
    TideEggHead Posts: 1,338
    Options
    Yesssssssss! Good stuff, I bet it was delicious!
    LBGE
    AL