Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Little cold here…

But nothing like our northern friends! Wish y’all the best.
Our laundry room water lines are frozen but no sign they have burst. Have dryer running now to help thaw the pipes. 
Just fired up the grill to cook some ribs.

Thank you,
Darian

Galveston Texas

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,974
    Well, Darian...it has now warmed up to -5º but with high winds the wind chill factor is nasty! My little Westie, Corky, was a real trooper and went out and took care of business in a flash even though the wind was blowing snow in his face! Oh, come to think of it the wind was blowing snow in my face as well!!! Corky's no dummy...he says if I have to go out in this then so do you! 

Enjoy your ribs!
  • TechsasJim
    TechsasJim Posts: 2,172
    @Photo Egg

youre a braver man than me.   Truck battery went out and I had to tackle that—enough time spent in the cold for me.   

However it looks like I’ll be firing up the egg tomorrow afternoon now.  
    LBGE, 28” BS, Weber Kettle, HCI 7.8 SE Texas
  • TechsasJim
    Yes sir nice!    I like Gospel and need to pick up more of the Kinders.  Don’t get me started about the hotel.   Many a night there (not sure how much I actually remember).  

• 44°F here last evening and -8°F when I got up this morning. Haven't seen such a fast drop in a long time.
    Cincinnati, Ohio. Large BGE since 2011. Still learning.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Earlier this morning it was 27F outside.  Gas Furnace keeping up with the thermostat set at 73F.  However, given our house is a typical 100+ year old southern building that preceded modern hvac, we have limited insulation.  And it’s friggin cold in here despite the air being at 73.  Temp is surface of floor near edge of the house.  Floor is closer to 50F in the center.
    I’m wearing an armored, insulated Motorsports jacket over a flannel robe over t shirt and thermal pants with two pairs of thick wool socks just to be comfortable.  And yes, I look ridiculously homeless. Doesn’t help I’m down to single digit percentage body fat (SWMBO doesn’t have this problem).  
    Photo Egg said:
    Our laundry room water lines are frozen but no sign they have burst. Have dryer running now to help thaw the pipes. 

Those ribs are going to scorch at 800*
    NOLA
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,213
    I was just staring at the Kinder's brand about an hour ago at Sam's Club. What's your thoughts on it?
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,118
    WeberWho said:
    I was just staring at the Kinder's brand about an hour ago at Sam's Club. What's your thoughts on it?
    Sam’s Club as well at half price. The 1 above is a good filler rub. There are soooo many rubs on the market now. I normally just buy what’s on sale. But the Gospel is a regular at our house.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Photo Egg
    buzd504 said:
    Photo Egg said:

Those ribs are going to scorch at 800*
    It took some time for everything to heat up today. But it’s solid and steady now.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Photo Egg
    Earlier this morning it was 27F outside.  Gas Furnace keeping up with the thermostat set at 73F.  However, given our house is a typical 100+ year old southern building that preceded modern hvac, we have limited insulation.  And it’s friggin cold in here despite the air being at 73.  Temp is surface of floor near edge of the house.  Floor is closer to 50F in the center.
    Our old house is similar. Wife has tarps and old sheets covering most of the floors on 1st level. It’s up to 65 now.
    Upstairs is comfortable.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,967
    Would it help if you turn on a few strategically located faucets at a trickle and let them run constantly to reduce risk of freezing?
    canuckland
  • Canugghead
    I’m wearing an armored, insulated Motorsports jacket over a flannel robe over t shirt and thermal pants with two pairs of thick wool socks just to be comfortable.  And yes, I look ridiculously homeless. Doesn’t help I’m down to single digit percentage body fat (SWMBO doesn’t have this problem).  
    No pic, didn't happen  =)
    canuckland
  • Photo Egg said:

I feel your pain.I have a water line on north side of house frozen..Don't know what to expect when it thaws.  Enjoy your cook.
  • keener75
    keener75 Posts: 395
    edited December 2022
    Full fledged blizzard here in Southern Ontario! Cooked some Krug's Famous garlic sausage on the gasser under the deck (out of the wind). Didn't get pics.
    Departing for Cuba on Monday if the blizzard let's up. Fingers & toes crossed!
    The Blizzard of '86 in Winnipeg was much worse!
    St Marys, Ontario, Canada  LBGE
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,789

aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • Canugghead
    and one frozen finger  =)
    canuckland
  • TechsasJim
    loco_engr said:

It’s 70F in my garage.   T shirt and flip flops.   No egging though, 20s outside.   
  • Braggart
    Braggart Posts: 245
    Greetings from the north...
    Large BGE
    MMax BGE
    Weber gasser
    Pizza oven
    2 Dogs Back to 3 Dogs
    No neighbours 
    Living in Canada's bush
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 16,039
    TechsasJim said:
    It’s 70F in my garage.   T shirt and flip flops.   No egging though, 20s outside.   
    How's the independent electrical grid holding up down there now, after what happened last winter?   

When does an old joke become a "Dad" joke?  When it's apparent.  

• TechsasJim
    Botch said:
    TechsasJim said:
    How's the independent electrical grid holding up down there now, after what happened last winter?   
    Thanks for asking b/c it is good and bad.    So far for us, good.   Our friends 10 miles (North) up the road—rolling blackouts   

Of note we, here, are just a couple miles from a generation station.  
  • nolaegghead
    Texas needs to tie into some outside grids and regulate some of these providers better.  I’m assuming the board already acted on the spot price algorithm that seems to end up in an asymptotic rise in prices.
    Texas needs to tie into some outside grids and regulate some of these providers better.  I’m assuming the board already acted on the spot price algorithm that seems to end up in an asymptotic rise in prices.
    No real clue what they have done but it’s not working.   We fired old ERCOT (power leadership) that was apparently not a Texan 🤷‍♂️

Wouldn’t hurt if we could produce more natural gas (which we have capabilities to do here-as does LA)    There are some macro gov’t issues at play-but I don’t think that’s the crux of the issue.  
  • nolaegghead
    The natural gas problem last time was the infrastructure wasn’t required to have anti-freeze technology installed to protect the distribution.   So much of it froze up and failed.  They could also store it as liquid in cryogenic tanks as a buffer because there is enough capacity spread over time.  At least that’s what I seem to remember, didn’t pay that much attention because I don’t live there.
    As to ERCOT’s leadership, I would hope technical jobs were filled by the best technical candidate rather than making it a political position or politicizing it.  The last guy was weak, regardless of where he came from.
    As to ERCOT’s leadership, I would hope technical jobs were filled by the best technical candidate rather than making it a political position or politicizing it.  The last guy was weak, regardless of where he came from.
    From what I understand it is not a political position.   

It’s a subject I, honestly, need to be better versed in.  Don’t follow it well/closely enough.  
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 15,050
    I think the issue is politicians fly the “Texas is independent” flag an awful lot which prevents them from making pragmatic decisions and ends up being a liability in cases like this.  So much criticism was leveled at the wind farms failing from freezing when wind power wasn’t the issue, it was the lack of winterized equipment. The world is changing.
    Not a felon
  • 5° here at the current moment with a wind chill of -12° (Middle TN). Tomorrow suppose to be close to 20 so that is nice. 

@WeberWho

That Kinders “the blend” is pretty tasty. We use it a lot on poultry. Sometimes mix it or layer with other rubs as well. It’s worth purchasing and adding to your collection.