Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Lobster Tails

Trick or treat!  Thinking about doing lobster tails for the first time.  Best way to prepare and cook them on the BGE?  Will probably purchase from Wild Fork.

Thanks
The problem with a problem is that you don't know it's a problem until it's a problem, and that is a big problem.
Holding the company together with three spreadsheets and two cans connected by a long piece of string.

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,174
    Here's my go to:
    "Raised grid-direct around 350*F-

4-6 lobster tails

Combine the following:

¼ cup EVOO

one chopped garlic clove

¼ cup fresh lemon juice

Salt to taste (light amount)

Fresh ground black pepper to taste

Split tails length-wise. Brush mixture onto the flesh side of the tails.  Put lobster on grill, flesh side down for around 5 mins (good grill marks), flip to shell side down to finish (1-2 mins) Remove when lobster is opaque and shell is orange. 136-140*F for the finish temp.  Scale the recipe as required."

If looking for the tail over the shell presentation, I have gone down that road but being lazy I have walked away.  FWIW-

Hopefully others will be along as there are many great options that have been posted here.  Give the search function a look.  

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • RajunCajun
    RajunCajun Posts: 1,035
    lousubcap said:
    Here's my go to:

4-6 lobster tails

Combine the following:

¼ cup EVOO

one chopped garlic clove

¼ cup fresh lemon juice

Split tails length-wise. Brush mixture onto the flesh side of the tails.  Put lobster on grill, flesh side down for around 5 mins (good grill marks), flip to shell side down to finish (1-2 mins) Remove when lobster is opaque and shell is orange. 136-140*F for the finish temp.  Scale the recipe as required."

If looking for the tail over the shell presentation, I have gone down that road but being lazy I have walked away.  FWIW-

Hopefully others will be along as there are many great options that have been posted here.  Give the search function a look.  

Sounds very nice.  Thanks!  How filling is a 1/4lb tail?  Ask me about crawfish and I have an answer for ya, lobster, not so much.  :bawling:
    The problem with a problem is that you don't know it's a problem until it's a problem, and that is a big problem.
    Holding the company together with three spreadsheets and two cans connected by a long piece of string.
  • lousubcap
    A 1/4 lb tail is not much.  Depending on your love of lobster and going with some top end tails as you are I would enjoy around 3/4 lb per person.  
    BTW- I await your crawfish answer =)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • RajunCajun
    lousubcap said:
    A 1/4 lb tail is not much.  Depending on your love of lobster and going with some top end tails as you are I would enjoy around 3/4 lb per person.  
    BTW- I await your crawfish answer =)
    My advice?  Pinch the tail and suck the head and sip your beer and repeat.
  • lousubcap
    I enjoy the crawfish boils as I made a trip to @nolaegghead 's near audible in the Spring of 2021 to eat 'em.  I was more interested in the quantity per boil as I have never gotten to the bottom of the supply.  
  • RajunCajun
    lousubcap said:
    I enjoy the crawfish boils as I made a trip to @nolaegghead 's near audible in the Spring of 2021 to eat 'em.  I was more interested in the quantity per boil as I have never gotten to the bottom of the supply.  
    Rule #1 and #2:  Never run out of crawfish or beer.  Sounds like @nolaegghead lives by those rules.  :)
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap said:
    Rule #1 and #2:  Never run out of crawfish or beer.  Sounds like @nolaegghead lives by those rules.  :)
    And yet the quantity answer is elusive...
  • RajunCajun
    jdMyers said:
    I do mine different than most.  I take melted butter, garlic, ground down cheese, and seasoning and mix it in a bowl.  I let it sit to start to solid a bit.  Brush on a layer let it thicken.  Repeat until it's built up.  Now it's solid.  Place on the grill as it cooks it melts into the lobster.   Once it metls down flip for an instant sear.  Perfect every time
    Man, that looks good.  What type of cheese?
  • RajunCajun
    lousubcap said:
    lousubcap said:
    And yet the quantity answer is elusive...
    Do you mean how to figure how much to boil for a given number of people?
  • jdMyers
    jdMyers Posts: 1,336
    edited November 2022
    A fine dusting of parmeasan 🧀 in the butter.  So basically butter layered thick 
    Columbus, Ohio
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    If you’re ordering, just get whole lobster.  Claws are vastly superior to tails.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,674
    lousubcap said:
    Here's my go to:

4-6 lobster tails

Combine the following:

¼ cup EVOO

one chopped garlic clove

¼ cup fresh lemon juice

Sounds very nice.  Thanks!  How filling is a 1/4lb tail?  Ask me about crawfish and I have an answer for ya, lobster, not so much.  :bawling:

8 to 10 ounce served with another protein or go bigger. have never cooked a tail before and dont like maine lobster grilled. we dont do that in maine. way to pricey for shipping costs. a 2 pound whole lobster leaves me wanting for more
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • MasterC
    MasterC Posts: 1,360
    jdMyers said:
    I do mine different than most.  I take melted butter, garlic, ground down cheese, and seasoning and mix it in a bowl.  I let it sit too start to solid a bit.  Brush on a layer let it thicken.  Repeat until it's built up.  Now it's solid.  Place on the grill as it cooks it melts into the lobster.   Once it metls down flip for an instant sear.  Perfect every time
    Are those meater blocks attached to your egg jdMyers? 
    Fort Wayne Indiana 
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    lousubcap said:
    Here's my go to:

4-6 lobster tails

Combine the following:

¼ cup EVOO

one chopped garlic clove

¼ cup fresh lemon juice

@lousubcap , you know that I hold you in high esteem, but... * 1 CLOVE OF GARLIC*??? =)

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • lousubcap
    @caliking- that's the easy copy/paste recipe.  I should have edited it up to reflect reality.  In dang near every case you can never have too much garlic.
    Just did a small rack of lamb and the paste called for 2 cloves, went with nine.  I get it. Of course, the more the better when dealing with Dracula and then All Saint's Day.  
    I feel more immune with the garlic and Dracula than with (being old) five covid vaccine shots.  
  • jdMyers
    MasterC said:
    jdMyers said:
    I do mine different than most.  I take melted butter, garlic, ground down cheese, and seasoning and mix it in a bowl.  I let it sit too start to solid a bit.  Brush on a layer let it thicken.  Repeat until it's built up.  Now it's solid.  Place on the grill as it cooks it melts into the lobster.   Once it metls down flip for an instant sear.  Perfect every time
    Are those meater blocks attached to your egg jdMyers? 
    They are sitting on powdercoated EL Brackets on factory existing hinge bolts.  Magnetic.  Flashlights fit there too
    Columbus, Ohio
  • jdMyers

Black alien heads work best. $18
    Columbus, Ohio
  • jdMyers
    edited November 2022
    better image 
    Columbus, Ohio
  • RajunCajun
    jdMyers said:
    better image 

jdMyers said:
    better image 
    jdMyers said:
    better image 
    Very nice!  Where did you get your raised grid setup?  Is it stainless?
  • jdMyers
    Designed it and had it made  Eastgametals@gmail.com

Same bull and duck from my handles, towels, aprons. Etc

Columbus, Ohio