Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Gas grill again . . .

The forum has archived related discussions due to age. My buddy has a BGE, but also a gas grill, which is shot to hell.
He needs a gas grill and the problem is poor quality with available products. His wife wants to surprise him, and she is struggling with the cost of non-P.O.S. grills. Rust is the big problem, even with SST. Powder coated is a joke.
Prices for what seem to be non-crap grills are huge.
Any recommendations? 

Comments

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Weber or Napoleon are good value to quality. 
  • Weber, at every price point they’re excellent.  
    XL BGE, Large BGE, Small BGE, Weber Summit NG                                                                                               
    Memphis  
  • tcampbell
    tcampbell Posts: 771
    Yes weber. Genesis or summit are great choices. 
  • littlerascal56
    littlerascal56 Posts: 2,104
    edited October 2022
    Napolean is high end. Much better than Weber.  20 year warranty. Built in Canada. Thicker stainless steel. Heavier burners.
  • Weber 
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,324
    Kalamazoo is high end. Napolean is on par (maybe just a tad better) than Weber.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    edited October 2022
    Weber’s customer service is awesome. As long as you register your grill they will back their warranty 100%.  But here in gulf coast, the cart rusts away and the wheels fall off but their heavy duty stainless burners are still going strong. But I still think their customer service and availability of parts and accessories make the Weber a good choice.
    ‘Depending on how large of a grill they need I would even look at a Weber Q.

Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Photo Egg said:
    Weber’s customer service is awesome. As long as you register your grill they will back their warranty 100%.  But here in gulf coast, the cart rusts away and the wheels fall off but their heavy duty stainless burners are still going strong. But I still think their customer service and availability of parts and accessories make the Weber a good choice.
    ‘Depending on how large of a grill they need I would even look at a Weber Q.

This. Weber quality is nearly unbeatable for the price of non-boutique/custom grills. I was deep in Camp Weber before I morphed into an egghead, and their customer service was what companies should aspire to. Just about any of their grills can be rebuilt with readily available parts. 

And, yes, if a flashy SS behemoth is not on the cards, the Weber Q series is a solid choice. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • tcampbell
    HeavyG said:
    Kalamazoo is high end. Napolean is on par (maybe just a tad better) than Weber.
    Yes Kalamazoo looks like it's the best of the best but I could never afford one.
  • GoldenQ
    GoldenQ Posts: 565
    If she just wants a simple but Great grill look at the Webber Q 320.  It is cast aluminum and my 2 -one for rv- have lasted about 20 years just south of Houston and one stays outside.

I XL  and 1 Weber Kettle  And 1 Weber Q220       Outside Alvin, TX-- South of Houston
  • Mr_D
    Mr_D Posts: 18
    I have a Weber Summit that has served me well for several years. 
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,676
    I have a Modern Home Products (MHP) WNK Model- it is a decent quality grill with lifetime burner warranty- If the burner fails, simply bring it to the local dealer for a free replacement. The grill body is cast aluminum. It's a $1000 or so grill, so it's not in the cooking performance league of the more expensive grill, but you can easily get 10+ years out of the grill. As an added bonus- it's made in the USA.
    MHP is the manufacture of a number of other grill brands on the market. I'm sure they are not all of equal quality.
  • tcampbell
    Mr_D said:
    I have a Weber Summit that has served me well for several years. 
    I agree I also have a Summit and it's been  a good grill so far 
  • Haley
    Haley Posts: 29
    Webber Summit.  
  • Mark_B_Good
    Mark_B_Good Posts: 1,510
    Napolean is high end. Much better than Weber.  20 year warranty. Built in Canada. Thicker stainless steel. Heavier burners.
    Not all Napoleon is built in Canada.
    You need to buy the Pro or Prestige Pro series (at least that is what I was told).

I have a Prestige Pro 665 ... I absolutely love it.
    It comes with a lot of features ... one I like is a built in smoker box, so you don't need to open the lid to replenish pellets. 
    Napoleon Prestige Pro 665, XL BGE, Lots of time for BBQ!
  • xfire_ATX
    xfire_ATX Posts: 1,110
    GoldenQ said:
    If she just wants a simple but Great grill look at the Webber Q 320.  It is cast aluminum and my 2 -one for rv- have lasted about 20 years just south of Houston and one stays outside.

I have the Q200 mounted on a stand and under a cover.  I use it maybe once a month (yesterday for the hot dog portion of chili dogs).  I disconnect and take to front yard for Neighborhood cookouts and random camping trips.  I have three friends who have them and weve all had them 10 years or more.
    XLBGE, LBGECharbroil Gas Grill, Weber Q2000, Old Weber Kettle, Yeti 65, Yeti Hopper 20, RTIC 20, RTIC 20 Soft Side - Too many drinkware vessels to mention.

Not quite in Austin, TX City Limits
    Just Vote- What if you could choose "none of the above" on an election ballot? Millions of Americans do just that, in effect, by not voting.  The result in 2016: "Nobody" won more counties, more states, and more electoral votes than either candidate for president. 
  • I have been very happy with my Weber Genesis. They redesigned them a year after I bought mine. Not a lot of extra features, but it provides even heat and the sear burner does as advertised. I'm sure there are nicer ones out there, but this is holding up well, and with Weber the replacement parts should always be available when the time comes. My other advice is to keep grill covered when not in use. I got 15 years out of my previous gasser, which was a cheaper Kenmore model, and I credit the cover for helping it hold up as long as it did.
    Stillwater, MN
  • danhoo
    danhoo Posts: 675
    Used weber genesis is my recommendation.

2011 to 2016 E330 with a sear burner and side burner. I picked this one up used and repainted the cookbox and end caps. The cabinet can rust inside so that's something to watch for. 

current: | Large BGE |  Genesis 1000 | Genesis E330 | 22 inch Kettle | Weber Summit Kamado
    sold:| PitBoss pro 820  WSM 22 
  • Photo Egg
    danhoo said:

2011 to 2016 E330 with a sear burner and side burner. I picked this one up used and repainted the cookbox and end caps. The cabinet can rust inside so that's something to watch for. 

How do you like your charcoal summit? I keep looking for a deal but just not many out there.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • danhoo
    edited November 2022
    Photo Egg said:
    danhoo said:

How do you like your charcoal summit? I keep looking for a deal but just not many out there.
    I like the summit,  Its a second gen WSK E6, no gas assist just a big black (metal) kamado.  I bought it on a closeout for $800 in April.  It was the floor model from a local dealer that sells BGE, Weber, Napolean and they were no longer carrying the summit.

Things I like:
    24 inch grate. Large coal grate for direct hot cooks or spread out indirect cooks. Coal rack has an upper level and a lower level. 

Temp stability is better on the BGE, yet I'm still learning the WSK.
    the WSK uses a bit more coal than the BGE for a long cook, but less coal than a kettle and much, much less than a WSM.

The summit replaced a 22in WSM and a pit boss pellet smoker. I also have a 22 inch kettle that I have not used since April. 

I do about half my coal cooks on the summit and half on the BGE and have no plans to let go of the BGE, but if I could only keep one it would be a tough decision. I'm glad I don't have to choose.

I really like being able to raise a pizza stone up using firebricks and then run a live fire under the stone. I put the stone on a charcoal grate from a 22 inch kettle and run the grill at about 700 to 750F dome and the stone is around 700F.  This cook used a couple softball sized chunks of white oak along with some lump and some briquettes.

current: | Large BGE |  Genesis 1000 | Genesis E330 | 22 inch Kettle | Weber Summit Kamado
  • Photo Egg
    danhoo said:
    Photo Egg said:
    danhoo said:

I like the summit,  Its a second gen WSK E6, no gas assist just a big black (metal) kamado.  I bought it on a closeout for $800 in April.  It was the floor model from a local dealer that sells BGE, Weber, Napolean and they were no longer carrying the summit.

Things I like:
    24 inch grate. Large coal grate for direct hot cooks or spread out indirect cooks. Coal rack has an upper level and a lower level. 

the WSK uses a bit more coal than the BGE for a long cook, but less coal than a kettle and much, much less than a WSM.

The summit replaced a 22in WSM and a pit boss pellet smoker. I also have a 22 inch kettle that I have not used since April. 

I do about half my coal cooks on the summit and half on the BGE and have no plans to let go of the BGE, but if I could only keep one it would be a tough decision. I'm glad I don't have to choose.

I really like being able to raise a pizza stone up using firebricks and then run a live fire under the stone. I put the stone on a charcoal grate from a 22 inch kettle and run the grill at about 700 to 750F dome and the stone is around 700F.  This cook used a couple softball sized chunks of white oak along with some lump and some briquettes.

Love it. Really appreciate all the info. 
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • danhoo
    edited November 2022
    Photo Egg said:
    danhoo said:
    Photo Egg said:
    danhoo said:

Things I like:

Love it. Really appreciate all the info. 
    My pleasure. 

How far away is Sealy Tx ? This is the model above mine with the gas assist starter and the SS side table. 

asking price on FBM is $750. current price new is over $2,000

Oh, and one of my hobbies is helping other people spend money :D

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/1234367447118628/
  • 6baluts
    6baluts Posts: 270
    Lot's of great recommendations here. The usual suspects Weber and Napoleon which I could never argue with. Another along pretty near the same lines are the BroilKing offerings specifically the Baron and Signet line. All 3 of those manufactures you could go kick the tires at a big box.
    @danhoo has a great idea in buying used and clean it up. I have seen some fantastic gas grill deals on the web. Prices of grills since Covid along with everything else has gone through the roof.
    @GregW mentions MHP grills which is a good choice. Made in USA is a bonus. I do not own a MHP but I own one of their subsidiary companies grills manufactured by ProFire (Phoenix).
    - Myself, I have two traditional gassers a Genesis 3000 Redhat and AOG 36. Both pretty much hangar queens unless I want to gas rotis.
    - As far as gassers go I have transitioned mostly to gas grills that cook indirect throughout the entire cook. Presently I have two Holland Grills a classic and a pinniacle. Also have 2 Phoenix grills one being an older original Phoenix and a newer Profire model.
    - The above style grills are NOT for everybody but once you learn to cook on them repeatable results are attained each and everytime. Yes a Holland takes forever to heat up. Also forever to burn anything (read very forgiving).  Phoenix not so much concerning warm up due to its adjustable burners. The Phoenix can attain about 585° degree grate temp where the Holland chugs along at 420°. These two grills are not burger and dogs in 15 minutes after you get home from work. I will say the Phoenix grill can sear if thats your thing and makes a darn good steak.
    - Another offering that cooks like a Holland or Phoenix but more so like a Phoenix is a Broilmaster Qrave. Has adjustable burners etc. Broilmaster has been around since the mid 60's so do not think they will pull out of the grill market anytime soon.
    - There are so many deals on used grills like @danhoo mentioned I would be hard pressed to ignore that recommendation. Heck knowing his wife bought it and maybe you help cleaning it up would mean much more to your friend than any new grill ever would.
  • stv8r
    stv8r Posts: 1,127
    edited November 2022
    The Napoleons look amazing
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,170
    @6baluts - Great knowledgeable write-up.  the term hangar queens may be lost on some here but- garage queen will resonate as an equivalent.   B)

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • danhoo
    edited November 2022
    I suppose I should have asked what the budget is. 

6baluts has some great suggestions and knowing if the budget $250 or $1,250 or ??? helps with the suggestions.