Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Problems with a small

Options
My daughter has a small and the lid stops halfway down, and won't move either direction.  I've had a small since '08 and never had that problem.  I took a picture of my hinge assembly there was no difference in the two, I checked for loose bolts and snugged them.  Hoping someone can point me in the right direction, I don't so much feel like a failed father as a failed egghead.  Sorry I can't post pictures to help...part of being a failed egghead I suppose.
Owensboro, KY.  First Eggin' 4/12/08.  Large, small, 22" Blackstone and lotsa goodies.

Comments

• Powak
    Powak Posts: 1,391
    Options
    Ike said:
    My daughter has a small and the lid stops halfway down, and won't move either direction.  I've had a small since '08 and never had that problem.  I took a picture of my hinge assembly there was no difference in the two, I checked for loose bolts and snugged them.  Hoping someone can point me in the right direction, I don't so much feel like a failed father as a failed egghead.  Sorry I can't post pictures to help...part of being a failed egghead I suppose.
    I recall having similar problem with the old style bands on my large once. There’s like a position in the mechanism where you have to pull the lid towards yourself for it to continue to close. You might have to loosen some of the hinge bolts to see if some are sticking.
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Mine did the same once. Spray lube loosened it up enough that I had to tinker with the all the bolts on the hinge to snug it up a bit.  

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    The design of the hinges in one particular spot when it binds it actually tightens the bolt. Like others have said, use a drop of 3 in 1 oil at the joints. If you move it real slow and watch each joint before you start oiling you can find the joint. Or oil 1 at a time and wiggle it a little till you find the culprit.
    I’ve been using this fishing reel oil for many years on outdoor stuff and door hinges. Best stuff I have found so far.

Be sure to take that tiny bottle with you next week! Leroy needs some lubricants…shall we say…
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Ike
    Ike Posts: 291
    Options
    Thanks guys, will go with the proven method of "all of the above" tomorrow.
    Owensboro, KY.  First Eggin' 4/12/08.  Large, small, 22" Blackstone and lotsa goodies.
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    RRP said:
    Photo Egg said:
    The design of the hinges in one particular spot when it binds it actually tightens the bolt. Like others have said, use a drop of 3 in 1 oil at the joints. If you move it real slow and watch each joint before you start oiling you can find the joint. Or oil 1 at a time and wiggle it a little till you find the culprit.
    I’ve been using this fishing reel oil for many years on outdoor stuff and door hinges. Best stuff I have found so far.

Be sure to take that tiny bottle with you next week! Leroy needs some lubricants…shall we say…
    Embarrassed to say, I wish we would have visited Judy and Leroy more often when they lived closer. Some how, we forget, others have goals in life. and often that goal involves moving further away.
    Absolutely can't wait to visit next week. Leroy and I normally lubricate internally with rum.lol
    As far as Judy goes...what an amazing lady. Really miss not seeing all the old Egghead gang.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Ike
    Ike Posts: 291
    Options
    Miss his posts in the middle of the night about visiting...whatever we old guys call the recipient of middle-of-the-night pee is.
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    edited October 2022
    Options
    Ike said:
    Miss his posts in the middle of the night about visiting...whatever we old guys call the recipient of middle-of-the-night pee is.
    Ha Ha…I sooooo agree. They both still lurk this site. I’m sure Leroy will appreciate you remembering.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas