Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Flameboss 500 users - gimme the deets

Options
Powak
Powak Posts: 1,391
edited October 2022 in EggHead Forum
Just got my Flameboss 500 and need just a little schooling from regular users of these before I get down to business tomorrow with a pastrami.

Pit probe placement: Clipped on the grate or on the probe of the dome thermometer? Dependent on recipe/method? Or always on the grate?

Light off: light the egg, fire up flame boss, close the dome and set temp to target running temp? Can you set this temp before starting a cook on the app? 

Smoke wood in now or after reaching target temp?

There’s not TOO much out there on YouTube so assuming it’s pretty straight up but wanted to check first with the egg community.

Comments

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    I've used the FB200 for a some years, and have been happy with it. I don't use it often, but its nice to have.

My usual MO is:
    - plug in the unit the night before the cook, so it can download updates, etc. 

- light the egg. Let it get close to the target temp, before deploying the FB.
    - Or, hook up the FB, with the temp probe clipped to the thermo stem (most cooks are described in terms of the dome temp, so it just makes it easier re: what you may be used to). 

- if you hook up up the FB from the start, set the temp lower than your desired cook temp. Then, reset to your cook temp (nod to @stlcharcoal). The fan can sometimes cause the temp to overshoot a bit. But,  overshooting the temp by a smidge is not the end of the world. 

No specific advice re: when to add the wood, but I'll wager that you'd be fine adding it from the start. 

Lastly, FB customer service has been phenomenally good in the past. They always took care of whatever issue I had, above and beyond what I would have expected. E.g., I planned on mounting the head unit on a magnetic stand, but was worried about the magnet messing with the electronics. Called them, and the owner didn't know either. Without skipping a beat, he promised to replace the unit if it did. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.