Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Bologna on the egg

First time trying this. Found this recipe online

Comments

• 6baluts
    6baluts Posts: 270
    - I have smoked a chub of bologna or two in the past. Goes by many names Tulsa Tenderloin etc.
    - After Bologna is smoked, I typically cube it up and serve it.
    - Never have done individual slices (read too lazy) but will be interested in your results.

• 6baluts said:
    - I have smoked a chub of bologna or two in the past. Goes by many names Tulsa Tenderloin etc.
    - After Bologna is smoked, I typically cube it up and serve it.
    - Never have done individual slices (read too lazy) but will be interested in your results.

it was good, but the side on the grill was a little too burned for me. Not sure if that's normal or I need to turn down the heat. Plus, I didn't cook it as long as the directions after putting on the sauce, probably about 15 minutes as I didn't want it burnt further

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    years back a smoked chub of bologna then diced and chunked was not uncommon at some Eggfests. Oftentimes the chunks were first speared with a piece of pineapple and then the bologna.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,170
    Grilled boloney from the past recipes on Greeneggers:
    This is so old even the baloney may be aged.

Grilled baloney:

INGREDIENTS:

1-4 lbs Bologna, Chub 
    Marinade:
    1/3 cup Italian Salad Dressing
    1/3 cup favorite BBQ Sauce
    Add some favorite rub when ready to cook.
    Procedure:
    1 Score the chub down the sides about 1/4 inch deep and about 6 cuts. Cut the chub  into 3 pieces of about equal size across the diameter. Take a chop stick and pierce several holes to absorb the marinade. Marinate overnight in the refrigerator.
    2 Next day, take out of the refrigerator and sprinkle some rub. 

3 Cook indirect, on a vertical axis, at 325° F. for about 1 & 1/2 hours. Add a few apple wood chunks for smoke. Pull at 170*F.

4 Baste with marinade every 20-30 minutes. Serve with your favorite bbq sauce.

That's all I've got from the boneyard.  

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Awesome looking results. Once a year I smoke 40 pounds for a golf league that my buddy runs. It is the most attended 19th hole of the season. 
    South Buffalo, New York
  • littlerascal56
    littlerascal56 Posts: 2,104
    edited October 2022
    I smoke a couple pound chunk, then grind it in the food processor with 8 hard boiled eggs, 4 TBS of pickle relish, and mayo. Awesome smoked ham salad sandwiches!
    Use lots of smoke wood to impart the flavor!
  • ksmyrl
    ksmyrl Posts: 1,050
    We smoke bologna a few times a year. I take the 5 lb chub and create 1 lb chunks. Use different rubs and sauces for each. Then freeze the 1lb chunks after smoking. Pull them out one at a time, slice and make bologna sandwiches. The kids are popular in the school cafeteria w their "homemade" bologna sandwiches. I like bologna burnt ends too for football games. 

Yours looks perfect to me. 
    Fish, Hunt, Cook....anything else?

1LBGE, 1MMBGE, somewhere near Athens GA