Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Scam attempt?

Botch
Botch Posts: 15,427
I just got an email from Paypal.  At the top it says "Hello, jmc@comcast.net", then the body of the message says "Oasis Network (ROSE) (888) 241-3489 sent you an estimate for $583.42 USD", a button to press "View your Estimate", and below that "If you have not approved this transaction and need this to be stopped or refunded reach us immediately at (888) 241-3489".  The address at the top of the email is "service@paypal.com", however.

Here's the thing:
1.  I tried to get a Paypal account maybe 15, 20 years ago, and could not.  I haven't had one since.
2.  I did have an email address with @comcast.net, years ago, but it wasn't "jmc" and I haven't done business with Comcast in 15, 20 years either.
3.  Oasis Network does not ring a bell with me.
4.  The phone numbers for "Oasis", and the "not approved" message are the same.

I didn't click on the link.  I did almost dial the "not approved" number, but thought better of it, then they'd have a working number for me.  The thing that bugs me, however, is that the email came from "service@paypal.com", with no misspellings.  Should I email Paypal directly (again, I have no account with them)?  
I'll probably just delete this email but thought I'd bounce it off you guys first, just to see if this sounds familiar to anyone.  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,657
    Scam...delete and procede. 
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,660
    You can send an email with anything you want as the sender

it's a good idea to shoot the email off to paypal so they can help mitigate scams like this
    Pay Pal  won't trick f1ck you like that at least in my several years of having an account.  
    He11 I have had my cell and landline (old here) call each number with my name on the caller ID, both while sitting on my desk.  
    Even as old as I am I did not answer.   B)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,452
    paqman said:
    You can send an email with anything you want as the sender
    You can also call someone with anything you want to appear on their call display.
    canuckland
  • click on the service@paypal.com to reveal the real sender
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,452
    click on the service@paypal.com to reveal the real sender
    Or just mouse over to reveal if you're using a Windows PC.
    canuckland
  • Botch
    click on the service@paypal.com to reveal the real sender
    All that did was highlight the address; couldn't find anything under "Message" or "View", and clicking with Cmd, Opt, or Ctrl didn't reveal anything either.  

Neither party has my CC number, so I'll just delete it.  Thanks for the help, guys!  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Going forward, don't click/open any email that looks sus. 

One method used  by scammers is to embed an image  pixel in the email. When the email is opened to read, it attempts to retrieve that pixel as an image from the scammers' server, and then they know that the email was opened, and they know  they got a live email add/contact. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Botch
    Wow, don't even open the email?  Gonna have to retrain myself, again.  

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    caliking said:
    Going forward, don't click/open any email that looks sus. 

One method used  by scammers is to embed an image  pixel in the email. When the email is opened to read, it attempts to retrieve that pixel as an image from the scammers' server, and then they know that the email was opened, and they know  they got a live email add/contact. 
    tagged hyperlinks are used by hackers but they are also used by legit businesses.  You should be able to set the security settings so no links are opened when you open the mail.  There's usually a button to say - I trust this, load the pictures.