Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Warranty Claim?

Options
I was cooking last night and noticed the temp getting higher than normal. After a while I noticed a hot spot in the corner and then a full on flame. After closer inspection there is a crack in the fire ring. Temp got out of control so I bailed and just did a clean burn. This morning there was indeed a crack in the fire ring. It isn’t broken yet. The other thing I noticed was basically black concrete in the bottom of the egg below the crack which prob explains my smoke issue. Is this a warranty issue or do I just have to buy a new ring. Is it odd that just a crack caused so much heat and flame? Thanks for any tips. 

Comments

• shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,660
    Options
    I wouldn’t think a cracked fire ring would be the cause for higher temps. To answer your question, yes, a cracked fire ring is covered under warranty. I wouldn’t be in a hurry though. I’ve been cooking on cracked fire rings in my small and large for several years without issue.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Strange. But yes, if you are the original owner and have proof bill of sale, all the ceramics have life time warranty.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • jwc6160
    jwc6160 Posts: 218
    Options
    It was really odd. I was smoking some wings at about 325 and there was a flame right on the crack and it just kept getting hotter and hotter. When I tried choking it, it just caused thick smoke. 
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    edited September 2022
    Options
    jwc6160 said:
    It was really odd. I was smoking some wings at about 325 and there was a flame right on the crack and it just kept getting hotter and hotter. When I tried choking it, it just caused thick smoke. 
    If your cooking direct and get a little grease fire going the flames are going to affect the temp gauge but the actual lump temp hasn’t changed. 
    But cooking wings at 325 is grilling. If you keep the dome open for 60 seconds while you are flipping the wings around that’s enough time to spike your temp and the flames going on grease drippings and your smoke wood pieces. Closing down your top vent will quickly smother any flames. Just shut it down for 10-15 seconds.
     I like to close my lower vent while I’m dealing with multiple smaller foods. Helps stop the temp from spiking.
    Drippings are probably running into the crack on the fire ring so when it does get hot enough to flame up the oil soaked crack is essentially a wick.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • MaskedMarvel
    Options
    Or maybe a piece of trash in the lump?
    Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,767
    Options
    theres something other than the crack, im going with temp spike when flipping as well. my last firebox and ring were in about 20 pieces when i gave up on it. it was a literal puzzle setting it back up
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • jwc6160
    Options
    thanks everyone. must have been just a coincidence with the flares being right where the crack was. I did a clean burn and even took a foil ball to the whole inside for the first time in a while. Since the crack is really small, i'll just let it be for a while and see how it goes. I'm guessing I can do a warranty claim at any point right?
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,767
    Options
    jwc6160 said:
    thanks everyone. must have been just a coincidence with the flares being right where the crack was. I did a clean burn and even took a foil ball to the whole inside for the first time in a while. Since the crack is really small, i'll just let it be for a while and see how it goes. I'm guessing I can do a warranty claim at any point right?
    Get the new one andput it in storage
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • jwc6160
    Options
    Update. I've been using my medium and hadn't fired up the large with the fire ring crack since the issue. I did a clean burn right after and used the medium for my cooks. After reading your comments it really didn't make any sense why a crack would cause the extra bad smoke, so I cleaned it out after the burn, refilled and fired it up for some over the top chili. After getting to temp and being at 350 for a while, I started seeing the smoke increase again and it kept getting hotter and hotter with thick smoke billowing out. I pulled the setter and grate and noticed the crack was bigger and smoke was just pouring out of it. Its the strangest thing. Anyway, I put in a warranty claim. My dealer said it would take a while and suggested I just buy a new one. I told him i'd rather get a free one than give him money if possible. Ha.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,107
    edited November 2022
    Options
    jwc6160 said:
    Update. I've been using my medium and hadn't fired up the large with the fire ring crack since the issue. I did a clean burn right after and used the medium for my cooks. After reading your comments it really didn't make any sense why a crack would cause the extra bad smoke, so I cleaned it out after the burn, refilled and fired it up for some over the top chili. After getting to temp and being at 350 for a while, I started seeing the smoke increase again and it kept getting hotter and hotter with thick smoke billowing out. I pulled the setter and grate and noticed the crack was bigger and smoke was just pouring out of it. Its the strangest thing. Anyway, I put in a warranty claim. My dealer said it would take a while and suggested I just buy a new one. I told him i'd rather get a free one than give him money if possible. Ha.
    Tell him, a reputable dealer would give you one out of his stock, and replace it when the warranty unit comes in.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    jwc6160 said:
    Tell him, a reputable dealer would give you one out of his stock, and replace it when the warranty unit comes in.
    That's a pretty poor dealer. Not only giving   the runaround to get the new fire ring, but basically told him to forget about making a warranty claim.

@jwc6160 - any other dealers near you? Any dealer can service a warranty claim, not just the one you bought the egg from. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Mjpchegt81
    Options
    I realize this is a bge purist forum..I come here as a clone egg hobbyist.  I've used refractory cement to fill cracks. Cures about 400 500 deg and is good to 800 or 1000 depending which version you get.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,107
    edited November 2022
    Options
    I realize this is a bge purist forum..I come here as a clone egg hobbyist.  I've used refractory cement to fill cracks. Cures about 400 500 deg and is good to 800 or 1000 depending which version you get.
    You would be surprised.  We aren't like an audioholics or headphone forum.  Most of us have Eggs as a compliment to many other cooking toys.  We welcome everyone, unlike the Facebook egg groups.

Never tried refractory cement on a fire ring though.  I just use them until they are in to many pieces.

How well.does the cenr hold up to the expansion and contraction of the fire ring?
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin