Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

24 hour brisket???

Options
Just purchased a Flame boss and want to try a long brisket cook. Has anyone done this? I’m thinking 225 the entire time? Maybe up it to 250 when it’s time to wrap?

Comments

• blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    Yes. First stage is 225. The meat will get to 140-160 pretty quick. Don’t panic. It will stall there. Bump the heat to 275 about 6 hrs prior to eating to push it through. I’m lazy: I don’t wrap. But keep an eye and either turn the heat back down or pull and cambro. 

Not sure your experience with briskets so disregard if this is not helpful: use a good quality big packer for this. 12-14 lb before you trim. A flat or small packer may not tolerate such a long cook. And stay flexible: a wise man told me “the cow drives the cook”
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • Mr1egg
    Mr1egg Posts: 368
    Options
    I’ve done about 5 briskets I believe so far. I like to do 20lbs ones. My last was a 21lb and it turned out great. I’ll for sure try the no wrap method and see how it goes. I even want to try to do two at once on my primo xl. 
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    Congrats on the FB, from Dickson or less elsewhere?
    I'm smoking MSM at 250, started at noon, to be steamed at date TBD. It was very windy earlier and FB crept up to almost 10F over set temp even with the daisy wheel barely opened. I covered the fan with a cup and taped the right edge of door that was pried out when removing to insert the fan adapter. Set temp = pit temp now.

Redneck of the north, I love it.
  • Mr1egg
    Options
    As long as it works!!!
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    @Canugghead to hold a low temp in my egg (225) I need it totally sealed — daisy wheel closed, plus a rutland gasket. It’s kind of a dangerous play. If the controller lost power the egg would snuff out and all is lost on an unsupervised cook. 
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • QDude
    QDude Posts: 1,052
    Options
    Why go 24 hours?  There is no benefit in cooking it that long?

Northern Colorado Egghead since 2012.

XL BGE and a KBQ.

• Mr1egg
    Options
    QDude said:
    Why go 24 hours?  There is no benefit in cooking it that long?
    Simply because I’ve never done it before, been doing turbo method lately at 300 degrees and started with leaving it at 250. I would want to try 225 steady really just for fun. And to tell all my buddy’s I did a 24 hour brisket. ;) 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    Options
    As an option if this adventure goes south, Get a healthy pork butt and run L&S at that low temp.  Much less $$ invested and a much more forgiving cook.
    Wherever, you land have fun.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,528
    Options
    blind99 said:
    @Canugghead to hold a low temp in my egg (225) I need it totally sealed — daisy wheel closed, plus a rutland gasket. It’s kind of a dangerous play. If the controller lost power the egg would snuff out and all is lost on an unsupervised cook. 
    Never needed to tape the door before. The is FB’s maiden voyage on my Large. Due to lack of clearance even with lower vent pushed all the way against the left nest arm, I had to pry the door aggressively to slide it out over the screws and right nest arm, deforming it in the process. After this cook I’ll bent the door to restore its contour and eliminate the gap. 
    canuckland
  • Money_Hillbilly
    Options
    @Mr1egg I cook a lot of briskets and frequently start at 200 degrees while misting to help set a wonderful crusty bark.  I then ramp up temp to 275 or so until ready to wrap.  After wrapping I adjust temp up some depending on timing never exceeding 300.  I have tried several ultra low cooks 200-225 and found no added value other than managing a 24 hour cook.  In fact I thought the end product was drier and and the fat didn’t render as well as usual.  Here is an example of the bark I get.  By the way this was wrapped in foil not butcher paper.  I have done both many times and I prefer foil since it’s much less messy, allows me to recover aujus by cooking over foil pans, and I have learned to crisp up the bark.

Southeast Louisiana
    3 Larges, Rockin W Smokers Gravity Fed Unit, KBQ, Shirley Fabrication 24 x 36, Teppanyaki Stainless Griddle 
  • Mr1egg
    Options
    @Mr1egg I cook a lot of briskets and frequently start at 200 degrees while misting to help set a wonderful crusty bark.  I then ramp up temp to 275 or so until ready to wrap.  After wrapping I adjust temp up some depending on timing never exceeding 300.  I have tried several ultra low cooks 200-225 and found no added value other than managing a 24 hour cook.  In fact I thought the end product was drier and and the fat didn’t render as well as usual.  Here is an example of the bark I get.  By the way this was wrapped in foil not butcher paper.  I have done both many times and I prefer foil since it’s much less messy, allows me to recover aujus by cooking over foil pans, and I have learned to crisp up the bark.

That brisket looks amazing, was that one that was done very slow or higher heat? I find my briskets don’t get much of a bark when I do turbo method, maybe I need to sprits more?
  • Money_Hillbilly
    Options
    @Mr1egg The brisket pictured was done using my normal temp method.
    Southeast Louisiana
    3 Larges, Rockin W Smokers Gravity Fed Unit, KBQ, Shirley Fabrication 24 x 36, Teppanyaki Stainless Griddle