Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Large - new style bands and hinges vs old... are they worth it?

first hand experience please.

Either I like my new style hinges much better 
or 
I wish I didn't replace the old ones.

And why...

Trying to decide if I should replace mine 
current: | Large BGE |  Genesis 1000 | Genesis E330 | 22 inch Kettle | Weber Summit Kamado
sold:| PitBoss pro 820  WSM 22 

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    OK I’ll TRY to go first…

PRO: New bands, nice new look…AND easily to adjust.

CON your dome will NOT open as wide.

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • danhoo
    danhoo Posts: 675
    edited September 2022
    I'm having adjustment issues after replacing my base last summer.

I came across a new in box set of the new style bands for sale near me and am considering replacing the bands. 
    current: | Large BGE |  Genesis 1000 | Genesis E330 | 22 inch Kettle | Weber Summit Kamado
  • 1voyager
    1voyager Posts: 1,157
    The old bands on my LBGE warped so I replaced them under warranty. I thought replacement would be the solution to correct the underbite.

Wrong. The new bands didn't fix the underbite, but they didn't cost me anything, so no big deal. (Other than the Egg still has the underbite.)

While replacing the bands, I discovered that the dome is out-of-round, so no solution will correct the alignment.

In summary, if I had paid for the bands I would have a huge case of buyer's remorse.
    Large Egg, PGS A40 gasser.
  • danhoo
    I've read a number of threads when the new bands came out and never had issues, but I've been fighting with the bands since I had to replace the base. Maybe I bent something, maybe I just don't know how to adjust it correctly? 

The last time I adjusted them was the initial install in 2011...

I'm not sure I want the dome not opening as wide. I might have to swing by a dealer and look at one. 

Thanks.
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Taking a look at a set at a dealer is a great idea. This question has come up several times. I know someone posted some side by side photos showing the angle difference. The new system is just different. It opens more like the XL Egg with a pivotal motion.
    Hope you get it works out.

Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • RRP
    1voyager said:

While replacing the bands, I discovered that the dome is out-of-round, so no solution will correct the alignment.

Out-of-round issues are quite frequently the reason some eggs have over or under bites. All I person needs to do to see if that is their problem is the measure from 3 to 9 and then 12 to 6 and compare the measurements. 
  • 1voyager
    1voyager Posts: 1,157
    @RRP - Agreed. 12 to 6 is off by 1/4". If I align in the front, then the back of the lid scrapes the gasket.
    Large Egg, PGS A40 gasser.
  • danhoo
    Photo Egg said:
    Taking a look at a set at a dealer is a great idea. This question has come up several times. I know someone posted some side by side photos showing the angle difference. The new system is just different. It opens more like the XL Egg with a pivotal motion.
    Hope you get it works out.

Thanks. I've read posts with pics and the distances over the years, yet I can't seem to find any with searching and TBH, I wasn't really paying much attention to the discussions when the new bands were released, because mine worked just fine.
  • RRP
    1voyager said:
    @RRP - Agreed. 12 to 6 is off by 1/4". If I align in the front, then the back of the lid scrapes the gasket.
    Personally I wouldn't fret about 1/4"...BUT when you say the lid scrapes the gasket then that is telling me the planes of your dome and base are out of whack and not the fault of your out-of-round situation. To solve the planes issue just close your dome, loosen your band bolts sufficiently so that you can press your dome down onto the base and then tighten the nuts again. That should solve the scraping issue! HTH
  • dbCooper
    dbCooper Posts: 2,061
    edited September 2022
    RRP said:
    1voyager said:
    Personally I wouldn't fret about 1/4"...BUT when you say the lid scrapes the gasket then that is telling me the planes of your dome and base are out of whack and not the fault of your out-of-round situation. To solve the planes issue just close your dome, loosen your band bolts sufficiently so that you can press your dome down onto the base and then tighten the nuts again. That should solve the scraping issue! HTH

To add to what @RRP said, this is what worked for me with the old style:
    - take nut off stud that supports the lower end of each spring, open dome and wiggle spring off stud.
    - close dome, loosen the eight nuts that hold hinge to bands.
    - do the band adjustments procedure from above
    - tighten the eight hinge nuts.
    - open dome, wiggle springs back on stud and install retaining nuts.
    My experience with the old bands is they required this procedure periodically.  I've had the new style on my Large for over three years.  I do the dollar bill test every few months, no adjustments have been needed to date.
    Good idea you stated about stopping by your dealer to test drive the reduced dome opening height.
    LBGE, LBGE-PTR, 22" Weber, Coleman 413G
    Great Plains, USA
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,629
    I had a lot of alignment issues with the old bands. Was constantly having to adjust and it was driving me crazy. I bought and installed the new style last year and have had zero issues since. I will say that they have already started to rust which is a little disappointing.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• Dondgc
    Dondgc Posts: 709
    The dome definitely won’t open as much. I don’t find that to be a problem but it is a noticeable difference. I changed to the new bands because I could not keep the temp regulated even with a new gasket from @RRP. No more temp problems with the new bands. I don’t see any reason to switch for someone who is not having an issue. 
    New Orleans LA
  • I upgraded when I got a new base under warranty-old bands were rusted and looked bad-  no issues and no huge difference in functionality.  Fwiw.
    2 then 1 Large, 2 Medium, 1 Small !! Egging since 2013. God is good!
  • danhoo
    edited September 2022
    I stopped by my dealer today, and I think I could live with the lesser / different dome opening.

But, I relocated my swing up side tables so they are 90 degrees, and the mount location would conflict with the newer style bands. I could revert the swing location, but I really like having them swing up at 90 degrees, as it works well with the other grills on either side of this one.

So, time to get to work adjusting this one. If it would only cool off a little...