Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New (to Me) XL in the Backyard- have some thoughts

Options
I spent quite a bit of time reading this thread yesterday and I didnt want to hijack it.  Long opening thoughts I know.
https://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1230360/contemplating-an-xl

I have had my Large for ~8 years, fully rigged out with the Woo and various stones to give felt direct, half direct, full indirect.  I havent used a plate setter in 7 years.

Neighbor started with a used Medium, too small found a used XL.
The other day he says come take this thing out of my backyard.  Turns out it has a 2nd cracked base.

Just make sure to buy at a dealer you can work with.  The XL is notorious for cracked bases.  I replaced several, and 1 dome before I sold mine.

We can warranty the base I just dont think he wants to deal with it anymore.  Regardless I spent half of Saturday moving it across the street and re-assembling it.   Those shelves came off my Large, but it does have the KAB- otherwise its pretty basic.

So yesterday go to do first cook- Standard Spatchcock chicken, added some Corn on the Cob and then cooked some Chicken Breasts.  Not knowing this Egg I started early and kept an eye on it, looking for 400 to do the Spatch Chicken- took much longer to come up with the damper more open than on the large.  Got to 375 brought damper down and put chicken on.  After 30 min it was at 350 so I opened the damper a bit more, 30 min later when I went to check done with probe its at 450.  I then proceeded to fight the dang thing back to to 400.  On my Large I almost never use a top I control all the heat just with bottom vent, after it went to 450 I had the bottom where I would do a brisket and then put the top on and had it 90% closed and was fighting to stay down.  After I finished I just closed both top and bottom and watched it (from inside) sit at 450 for an hour before coming down, some 2 or 3 hours later it was still 250... thing holds heat.

Cook- all the food came out great as expected, I forgot how much I dont like the Plate Setter and conversed with Tom @CGS for the Woo and deflectors.  I just need to do some practice cooks and learn the XL settings vs the Large settings.

The Large will hang around for a bit until I get the XL base replaced then its moving a few doors down to another neighbors house unless hes changed his mind as we are all paying forward here.

I cracked up when I put the chicken on... felt like I was doing a Cornish Game Hen.

XLBGE, LBGECharbroil Gas Grill, Weber Q2000, Old Weber Kettle, Rectec RT-B380, Yeti 65, Yeti Hopper 20, RTIC 20, RTIC 20 Soft Side - Too many drinkware vessels to mention.

Not quite in Austin, TX City Limits
Just Vote- What if you could choose "none of the above" on an election ballot? Millions of Americans do just that, in effect, by not voting.  The result in 2016: "Nobody" won more counties, more states, and more electoral votes than either candidate for president. 

Comments

• cookingdude555
    Options
    Congrats you will love the XL. 
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Great read and great score on the XL.
    I cut the legs off my plate setter and now it’s Tri shaped pizza stone and I use it with CGS Woo when I need indirect. So much easier to store a flat stone.
    Is your gasket a little more used/burned towards the back? I had some alignment issues getting my XL to sit flat in the back. This made it a little harder to hold temps and shut down. But your new XL looks like it was used very little and looks “dry”. As it gunks up a little with grease it will seal up more and get easier to dial in temps. 
    Congratulations!
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    Options
    I too hate the platesetter (and ceramic deflectors of any kind). I now use dual GrillGrate halfmoons with much better results. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UL5IQ_00IMQ
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • littlerascal56
    Options
    Agree with @SonVolt on the Grill Grates.  I use them on all my grills now.  Nothing to crack or break, lightweight, and easy to clean!

• Grogu
    Grogu Posts: 125
    Options
    I’m a brand new egger, so you probably already know this and it might not apply to your situation, but sharing for other new folks. I recently got my first egg and it’s an XL. I was having a very hard time with temperatures running away. I couldn’t control the temps with just the bottom like I was seeing in some YouTube videos etc. Then I realized I had a major gap along the back because I didn’t have my band installed on the lid correctly. I adjusted the band to remove the gap and now all of a sudden it behaves the way I see in the videos and I can hold temps much better.
  • Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    Options
    Grogu said:
    I’m a brand new egger, so you probably already know this and it might not apply to your situation, but sharing for other new folks. I recently got my first egg and it’s an XL. I was having a very hard time with temperatures running away. I couldn’t control the temps with just the bottom like I was seeing in some YouTube videos etc. Then I realized I had a major gap along the back because I didn’t have my band installed on the lid correctly. I adjusted the band to remove the gap and now all of a sudden it behaves the way I see in the videos and I can hold temps much better.
    Great Reminder!  Temps are generally easy to regulate, unless you have an unknown air leak.
    Clinton, Iowa
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,396
    Options
    @Grogu - Welcome aboard and enjoy the journey.  Above all, have fun.

Best test to check for dome to base seal is the dollar bill test.  Shut the dome as it lays across the gasket and then pull on the bill to see how tight the fit is.  If you get some resistance you are good.  Check several places around the perimeter.  BTW - you can use high a high roller bill if that's all you carry... B)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • xfire_ATX
    xfire_ATX Posts: 1,115
    Options
    So picked up the new base Saturday, had some extra hands around Sunday to help pull the old one out and set this one in. Then spent 1.5 hours putting it all back together.

Was planning on a cook anyway so I gave it a nice long slow warm up.

With the new non cracked base a lot of patience working on alignment (even though the dome is smaller) and using a plate setter its now working as expected just using the bottom vent and holding steady at 300-350 easily.

While I was at the dealer this caught my eye though

It was a thing of beauty.... wasnt coming home with me though @$799
    XLBGE, LBGECharbroil Gas Grill, Weber Q2000, Old Weber Kettle, Rectec RT-B380, Yeti 65, Yeti Hopper 20, RTIC 20, RTIC 20 Soft Side - Too many drinkware vessels to mention.

Just Vote- What if you could choose "none of the above" on an election ballot? Millions of Americans do just that, in effect, by not voting.  The result in 2016: "Nobody" won more counties, more states, and more electoral votes than either candidate for president. 
  • xfire_ATX
    xfire_ATX Posts: 1,115
    Options
    xfire_ATX said:

I forgot how much I dont like the Plate Setter and conversed with Tom @CGS for the Woo and deflectors.  I just need to do some practice cooks and learn the XL settings vs the Large settings.
    Finally gave up on visiting Tom in Denton so I ordered online and first cook (forgot to take pic) was perfect.

If you dont have a Woo or AR its a game changer.