Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Burgers and Dogs

Options
Photo Egg
Photo Egg Posts: 12,110

On the Small BGE
Thank you,
Darian

Galveston Texas

Comments

• EggObsessed
    EggObsessed Posts: 786
    Options
    Were the hot dogs way better than a normal hot dog, like Nathan's? Was it worth the price for Wagyu?
    Kelley 
    Egging with No Joke Smoke (Bruce), enjoying small town life in Brenham, TX., the home of Blue Bell Ice Cream.  BGEs: XL, Medium,  1 MiniMax. 36" CookRite Commercial Griddle, and a Shirley Smoker.
  • RyanStl
    RyanStl Posts: 1,050
    Options
    Were the hot dogs way better than a normal hot dog, like Nathan's? Was it worth the price for Wagyu?

I'm curious about this too 
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,766
    Options
    there seems to be a dog missing on the grill
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Photo Egg
    Options
    there seems to be a dog missing on the grill
    The 5th dog in the front was cooking real fast and finished before the others. Wife snatched it up.lol
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Photo Egg
    Options
    They were pretty good. Their store special was 2 packs of dogs and 8, 10oz Wagyu burger Pattie’s for $28.
    Fresh burger patty from HEB is just as good. The dogs were larger than most and very good. 5 in the 1 pound package. Definitely no need for chili and cheese. Lora thought they were a little salty.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,765
    Options
    either way . . . still looks yummy
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    I don’t think you have to go Wagyu for a great hotdog. The RR Ranch dogs from SRF are most excellent…..and blow away the Nathens. I am a Nathens fan by the way. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Hot dogs just scratch a certain itch, and I can see how paying a little attention to making them better, could be tasty. I'm going to head out there some time. Thanks for the intel.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • fishlessman
    Options
    Quarter pound pearls. Try those first. Don't get the little ones.way better than nathans
    fukahwee maine

• Ybabpmuts
    Ybabpmuts Posts: 940
    Options
    Quarter pound pearls. Try those first. Don't get the little ones.way better than nathans
    I'll second fishlessman on the pearl quarter pounders. Just got a pack at McKinnons last weekend. I'm not sure how easy they are to find though.
  • fishlessman
    Options
    Ybabpmuts said:
    I'll second fishlessman on the pearl quarter pounders. Just got a pack at McKinnons last weekend. I'm not sure how easy they are to find though.
    I believe mail order is still there.  Quarter pounders are less salty than the regulars but don't fit the split top bunns.a trade off
    fukahwee maine

• Photo Egg
    Options
    I went on that chase several years ago looking for Pearls. Just not worth the shipping.
    I did try the SRF. Ordered some with some other sale items back when they had good sales. From what I remember, they were better than RC Ranch. Still have 1 package left. I will simmer in beer and flash sear them next time.

Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • fishlessman
    Options
    Stump can get them.  Srf is crazy to get here.  Even Hebrew nats Need a short simmer to get some salt out.  Pearls our our best option with the quarter pound size
    fukahwee maine

• fishlessman
    Options
    Stump can get them.  Srf is crazy to get here.  Even Hebrew nats Need a short simmer to get some salt out.  Pearls our our best option with the quarter pound size
    It's still a hot dog....
    fukahwee maine

• stv8r
    stv8r Posts: 1,127
    Options
    I've been obsessed with the Angus all beef hotdogs from Aldi's of all places.  So damn good. Also Costco's all beef If you don't mind buying in bulk. 
  • Ybabpmuts
    edited July 2022
    Options

Ybabpmuts said:
    I believe mail order is still there.  Quarter pounders are less salty than the regulars but don't fit the split top bunns.a trade off

I draw the line at mail order weiners. There's just something wrong with that. Things like Bottom Town Buffing Biscuits  (rolls of toilet paper) I can get behind, especially when the pandemic hit and people hoarded the stuff. We switched to coffee filters for like seven long, long, long days, looking back now, we should have known that they would only catch the grounds. That's when I started ordering the bottom town buffing biscuits online. 

To the folks at BottomTownBuffing Biscuits.com. Don't think I didn't notice that  you made the cardboard tubes out of a much lighter material recently,  that easily collapses and makes the whole role go ..
    clunk, clunk, clunk as your taking your biscuits off. This is horrible, bathrooms can be used for a lot of things, but when your biscuit is clunking when your in there, people know that you're in there buffing something.

I want people to NOT know if I'm buffing something in their bathroom. 
  • fishlessman
    Options
    Ybabpmuts said:

Ybabpmuts said:

I draw the line at mail order weiners. There's just something wrong with that. Things like Bottom Town Buffing Biscuits  (rolls of toilet paper) I can get behind, especially when the pandemic hit and people hoarded the stuff. We switched to coffee filters for like seven long, long, long days, looking back now, we should have known that they would only catch the grounds. That's when I started ordering the bottom town buffing biscuits online. 

To the folks at BottomTownBuffing Biscuits.com. Don't think I didn't notice that  you made the cardboard tubes out of a much lighter material recently,  that easily collapses and makes the whole role go ..
    clunk, clunk, clunk as your taking your biscuits off. This is horrible, bathrooms can be used for a lot of things, but when your biscuit is clunking when your in there, people know that you're in there buffing something.

I want people to NOT know if I'm buffing something in their bathroom. 
    Don't get me going with those stupid thin backing rolls.  I now hasta buy the expensive thick cardboard Charmin paper towel rolls to get the wolf sound howl to make the dog happy.  If the dog aint happy.well......then the wife ain't.....
    fukahwee maine

• Ybabpmuts
    Options
    I admire you fishlessman, I never think of my dog when I'm buffing anything in the bathroom, or what makes my wife happy, for that matter. 😊

True dat tho eh? WTH? The things hang maybe within two feet of where we're sitting, pretty close to ear level, and they thought we wouldn't notice the clunking sound all of a sudden?

• fishlessman
    Options
    Ybabpmuts said:
    I admire you fishlessman, I never think of my dog when I'm buffing anything in the bathroom, or what makes my wife happy, for that matter. 😊

True dat tho eh? WTH? The things hang maybe within two feet of where we're sitting, pretty close to ear level, and they thought we wouldn't notice the clunking sound all of a sudden?

Too funny.  Have to love it.   But your dog needs to howl
    fukahwee maine

• bbracey21
    bbracey21 Posts: 319
    Options
    stv8r said:
    I've been obsessed with the Angus all beef hotdogs from Aldi's of all places.  So damn good. Also Costco's all beef If you don't mind buying in bulk. 
    @stv8r Are these the Aldi ones you speak of?