Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cooking Surface Clean-up on a Griddle

Options
LDR
LDR Posts: 414
After continuously putting off this purchase, I hit a Facebook find that was too good to ignore.  I think the Blackstone will be a great match with the egg.  I did have to go back into the woods of Arkansas, so far that I was hearing banjo and somebody screaming "squeal!"  The guy said that he had only used it a couple of times before he became allergic to red meat.  It was in great shape, except for the cooking surface which has some corrosion or burned-on bits, in addition to what appears to be some type of congealed troll lard.  I suppose the congealed sticky fat will be easy enough to remove once heat hits it, but what's the best way to restore the cook top? 

For some reason, it looks great in the photo, with the sun hitting it at a low angle, but it's actually brown.

Comments

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,638
    Options
    Congealed Troll Lard
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,200
    Options
    I heat them, hit them with some water to help boil off and lift anything.  Then I cool and scrub with steel wool or a stone.  Then heat and oil.  Nothing crazy for me.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,674
    Options
    If you need to strip the seasoning, Easy-off (the ?yellow? bottle) overnight in a garbage bag.  Repeat if needed.  Keep in mind that it contains lye so you don’t want it to touch other surfaces.  After that, just season like if it was cast iron (I used peanut oil on mine).

Options
    The sequence that seemed to work was:
    Easy-off for six hours
    Steel wool and water rinse (most food remnants were gone after this step)
    4" wire wheel
    Light use of 120 rotary sander
    Four rounds of canola oil seasoning