Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Best Philly… in Philly??

Options
Thatgrimguy
Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
edited June 2022 in Off Topic

I’m planning to go to Jim’s South but wanted to make sure that was the best choice (been to pats and Gino’s and wasn’t crazy impressed)

My family and I are in the middle of an epic road trip that extends from the coast of Mississippi to Portland, Maine. Taking the coast up and mountains home.
XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum

Comments

• dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    Options
    Sounds like a great trip. 

4 years ago today, according to Facebook, I was doing a cheese steak throw down between Pats and Gino’s. 

We had a blast. 

I spent the first 13 years of my life  in Philly and this was a family reunion. 

My cousins all raved about Delasandros (sp)   

Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • Buckwoody Egger
    Options
    Don’t turn around in Portland— go a little further to Reds Eats and Five Islands Lobster Co.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,759
    Options
    Would get the cheese steak in Maine. But get a descent lobster roll first. Clam shack in kennebunkport
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
    Cheesesteaks are overrated.  Either go to DiNic's roast pork in the Reading Terminal Market, or if the timing works out with the limited time they're open South Philly Barbacoa are much better.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• Thatgrimguy
    Options
    Would get the cheese steak in Maine. But get a descent lobster roll first. Clam shack in kennebunkport
    We plan to smash many a lobster roll! We were going to car tour from Portland around Maine. But may go further up 
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,759
    Options
    may be a bit out of your way, but bay haven lobster pound has some great seafood over in cornish me near the nh border. would be on the way to the kancamagus in nh for maybe a return trip. bay haven is pricey but all seafood is right now, its a locals destination with well sized platters

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Thatgrimguy
    Options
    Don’t turn around in Portland— go a little further to Reds Eats and Five Islands Lobster Co.
    Red eats was on our list!! We are going to drive our car up there.  I’ll add Five Islands as well
  • HighHeat
    HighHeat Posts: 218
    Options
    Dalessandro's is the top choice for Cheessteaks, but you gotta go grab a DiNics Roast pork/pulled pork.  It'll blow your mind.  You can replicate that on the egg.  Italian roast pork, sharp provolone, and broccoli rabe.

Nick's roast beef on Passyunk in South Philly is a also a worthy stop.
    Memphis, TN
  • HighHeat
    HighHeat Posts: 218
    Options
    Stop by Sally's Apizza in New Haven, CT for the best pizza on Earth.
    Memphis, TN
  • Ybabpmuts
    Ybabpmuts Posts: 940
    Options
    Red eats was on our list!! We are going to drive our car up there.  I’ll add Five Islands as well
    Five Islands is awesome. Reid State Park in Georgetown (not far from five Islands) is a nice day stop too. I love Portland and go up there quite a bit. Harpswell area is really nice as well. Camden is nice, but can be really touristy too. I don't go there during height of tourist season.

On a side note .. Maine has some of the best marijuana dispensaries in New England for both quality and price, in case you're into that sort of thing. I go up there every two weeks to pick stuff up, to help with my constant pain. Beats all the other nasty stuff that my doctors have prescribed in the past.